Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've seen pictures of so many tanks with awesome rocks and driftwood for decorations. I was wondering where people get quality decoration type things that don't look cheesy/tacky. My LFS doesn't have much and I'm assuming mail ordering would cost a bunch for shipping. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Actually I get mine from my LFS what I dont collect. I can get a piece that will dwarf a 6'x2'x3' tank for less then 40 bucks.

eBay is another good place to find quality driftwood at cheap prices. Yes some are stupid rediculously priced but in the pile of too much $$ are dirt cheap pieces.

·
Registered
91 Posts
my driftwood i ordered online came pre soaked and was like 25 bucks for a 12 X 5 X 6 with some you can google it and a ton of places come up, as far as rocks go i actually just got some slate today 40 cents per lb @ a garden center. homedepot sells some ok looking rocks also kinda cheap. the only rocks that look Tacky are the ones petco/petland sells with precut holes in them and stuff.-_-

·
Sir Dingdy Dang
65 Posts
Look around outside your house or family and friends houses. My mother likes to decorate her yard with driftwood she has collected over the years. When I got my tank, she pulled an old seemingly rotten piece out of her back yard. It was half buried and caked with hard mud. I hosed it off, let it soak for a a couple of days and it cleaned up really nice. The day I got it I was about to drop $60 on ebay for a large rather plain piece. When I bought my house I had a few large pieces that the previous owner had used as yard decoration. Funny thing was I never even noticed them until I was looking for some for my tank. Same with rocks, you can find a piece just about anywhere. You just never noticed it before, but once you start landscaping your tank, any ordinary rock can be used for something creative. Think about how you want it to look before you start buying anything though.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Never use anything that comes from a manicured lawn or garden, collect in the wild far away from human manicuring. Doing this eliminates the worry about contaminates such as ferts and pesticides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips and ideas! The fish store here has a bunch of plastic garbage and some carved fellerstone stuff that seems to run expensive for what it is.

Good suggestions about the manicured lawn and whatnot. I've found some driftwood online, but if I use stuff I've found around outside somewhere, can someone point me in the right direction for making sure it's sanitized and doesn't bring any sort of disease?

Buying the fish and taking care of them is the easy part. Making their home look awesome is the tough part ha :)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I just boil and bake mine, if they dont fit in a pot they fit in a heavy plastic tub with boiling water poured on it, hot water heater works great too. also to bake I put mine in at 125 for 3-4 hours and again if too large I sun bake it for 2-3 weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts