Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so... I have some of those tiny snails that like to ride in from the fish store on plants. But I've also got 3 mystery snails I added intentionally...

Is there anything I can add to a community tank that would eat the pesty snails but leave the mystery snails alone?

I currently have 2 angels / 7 danios / 3 platies / 10 neons / 2 albino corys / and a bamboo shrimp. So... they need to be friendly with those guys :)

Thanks guys!

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
I don't think there will be anything that will only take care of the snails you don't want. It will either be all or nothing.

·
Cornelius
95 Posts
yes, the mystery snails will be much larger. You just need a snail eating fish that is on the smaller side. Probably some small loach will do it for you.

·
fenix
61 Posts
I can't quote the forum or column that I read, but it said that no fish can rid you of those tiny snails that have a spiral shell shaped like a cornucopia- otherwise Loaches, Bettas, Gouramis, and Silver Dollars, and Botias in particular have been seen to keep them down in, but not eliminated in my own tanks- however members of the silver dollar family are hard on plants, and no fish will completely eliminate pond snails, in my experience (over 60 yrs as a hobbyist and professional)--
I've tried most of the chemical remedies- after 3-4 doses they might kill snails
but not their eggs--
Disinfecting your plants (CAREFULLY) with Potassium Permanganate as is specified in the forums like this one is reputed to kill them. Use BEFORE planting- also, if a tank's infected, it must be stripped and the plants soaked as above- use hot water on the gravel and let the tank dry out fully before filling-
inspect everything for snail eggs (ornaments, toys, etc.) before refilling also.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You're best bet under these circumstances will be to bait them out. Get some romain lettuce, blanch it and then put it in the tank at night. Then just remove it in the morning. Afterwards, if you see a pond snail, just pluck it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts