Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am a SAHM who loves fish! My father started the hobby with me as a child and I have had a tank ever since. Let me tell you, that is not an easy accomplishment when you are a military family moving every 2 years! Phew🫡🫤😮‍💨
I have long been in the aquarium hobby, but the past 15 years were reefs, due to a declining health issue, I am starting a freshwater tank in this new home. I am hoping the lower maintenance and costs will be more manageable.
So, here I am, now setting up a 100 gallon fresh with a 20 gallon sump. It is 50x24x24 (i think-I’ll measure when I’m home), it’s been cycling about 4-5 weeks now, and my NO2 , NO3 and ammonia are all nil, so I am excitedly awaiting my first fish!
I still do not know what I want to stock! I’ve decided and changed my mind several times. Lol
So I am back and forth on these ideas, but am truly open to anything!
1. Oscars, because they have such amazing character! Personality is my biggest want, followed closely by colour.
2. Axolotls because axolotls! But I cannot keep the water cool enough without a large investment it seems
3. Something that my sons Betta can live in. I think the betta would be “in over his head” in such a deep tank
4. Community tank, but I’d like a centerpiece or showcase fish in this case-dwarf gourami perhaps? I know I’d have to watch which fish I put with a gourami.

any thoughts? If you were starting a 100 gallon and it was the only tank you could have, what would you do?

thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also! I forgot to add that I have a naturally high PH and water hardness, my test strips reads
PH. 8.5-9
KH 240
GH 180

AND. I am leaning to a cichlid tank. Electric yellows, peacocks…but i really want a centerpiece fish. Something with irs own personality. Do these fish display a personality of their own?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,924 Posts
I would go with a cichlid tank, Oscar's you can max out at 2. You can pick one of the African lakes and have several. My favorite lake is lake Victoria but there is others. Stick with one lake and go from there. If you want a freshwater community best to go with live bearer with your ph, or you start lowering your ph with ro/di but then you are getting into more work and exspense.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hello all!
I am a SAHM who loves fish! My father started the hobby with me as a child and I have had a tank ever since. Let me tell you, that is not an easy accomplishment when you are a military family moving every 2 years! Phew🫡🫤😮‍💨
I have long been in the aquarium hobby, but the past 15 years were reefs, due to a declining health issue, I am starting a freshwater tank in this new home. I am hoping the lower maintenance and costs will be more manageable.
So, here I am, now setting up a 100 gallon fresh with a 20 gallon sump. It is 50x24x24 (i think-I’ll measure when I’m home), it’s been cycling about 4-5 weeks now, and my NO2 , NO3 and ammonia are all nil, so I am excitedly awaiting my first fish!
I still do not know what I want to stock! I’ve decided and changed my mind several times. Lol
So I am back and forth on these ideas, but am truly open to anything!
1. Oscars, because they have such amazing character! Personality is my biggest want, followed closely by colour.
2. Axolotls because axolotls! But I cannot keep the water cool enough without a large investment it seems
3. Something that my sons Betta can live in. I think the betta would be “in over his head” in such a deep tank
4. Community tank, but I’d like a centerpiece or showcase fish in this case-dwarf gourami perhaps? I know I’d have to watch which fish I put with a gourami.

any thoughts? If you were starting a 100 gallon and it was the only tank you could have, what would you do?

thanks!!
Hi!😃 nice to meet you! 😃
Well, I'm glad you are back!😃
Yes, you are correct, your ph would be too high for a community freshwater tank but definitely grrr-eat for a cichlid tank though.😃
To be honest with you, I couldn't settle with only one tank!$😂😂😂 I'm definitely an addict...shhh...don't tell the hubby!😂😂
But, I'll play the game!
I'd get Blue Moori/ Dolphins for that size of tank!😀 they're cichlids with peaceful natures and beautiful colors!!😃😃

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go with a cichlid tank, Oscar's you can max out at 2. You can pick one of the African lakes and have several. My favorite lake is lake Victoria but there is others. Stick with one lake and go from there. If you want a freshwater community best to go with live bearer with your ph, or you start lowering your ph with ro/di but then you are getting into more work and exspense.
Thank you. I have decided on African cichlids 4 times this past 2 months. Lol.
lowering the PH is a process hey? I had debated the idea of angels with mollies, Cory’s and kribs. I think they are all compatible by what google tells me-the internet is always right, right? ;)
I thought I may be able to get down to 8, but I can’t have anything with too much work

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!😃 nice to meet you! 😃
Yes, you are correct, your ph would be too high for a community freshwater tank but definitely grrr-eat for a cichlid tank though.😃
To be honest with you, I couldn't settle with only one tank!$😂😂😂 I'm definitely an addict...shhh...don't tell the hubby!😂😂
But, I'll play the game!
I'd get Blue Moori/ Dolphins for that size of tank!😀 they're cichlids with peaceful natures and beautiful colors!!😃😃
Thank you. Those are pretty cool looking! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lowering the PH is a process hey? I had debated the idea of angels with mollies, Cory’s and kribs. I think they are all compatible by what google tells me-the internet is always right, right? ;)
I thought I may be able to get down to
Hi!😃 nice to meet you! 😃
But, I'll play the game!
i couldn’t keep those with electric yellows hey? I love the color of them. I’ll go research these guys more. I am pretty interested in them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I may be able to get down to 8, but I can’t have anything with too much work
Do you think a small dose of discus buffer would be useful for the ph? Or would it be too hard to maintain stability and dosing? Just a thought I am tossing about

·
Registered
321 Posts
I thought I may be able to get down to

i couldn’t keep those with electric yellows hey? I love the color of them. I’ll go research these guys more. I am pretty interested in them
Hi!!😃
I'm soooo excited for you, fish buddy!!😃
If you choose to go the community tank way, just purchase some Seachem Neutral, which isn't expensive and I use this in my aquarium tank as well. The 7.0 one and you'll be able to get your ph EXACTLY there, our friend!😃 serious! Do not settle on anything buttt what you want because I've done this and wasn't happy at all! You should be having fun!!😃 I have fun even when I have to boil my water!!😂😂😂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts