Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I cycled my tank with fish in it (I know I know...).. and have lost 3 of my 4..

so... still have my little mickey mouse platy swimming around by himself now in a 10 gallon tank

I've added 2 plants (aquatic primrose).

So, what I want to know now, is what kind of fish would be good to add when the cycling is finished?

I'm looking for something colorful and that is fun to watch, but I'm also pretty new to this, so I need something that would be okay for a beginner.
I'm also considering adding some shrimp as well. I just want some suggestions.

again,
10 gallon, freshwater tank
Filter is a Penguin Bio-Wheel 100 (I think I"m looking at the right thing)
has a heater.
currently 1 mickey mouse platy
2 aquatic primrose

so... any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
First and foremost save the Platy and get on top of testing your water everyday, detoxing with Prime every 24 hours along with a 30% water change / conditioner every day. Its not just about saving the fish but the challenge of being able to effectively finish what you started and learn how maintain a cycled aquarium. I made the same mistake you did with a 60 gallon tank and 29 fish but I was bound and determined to take care of the problem and it was very hard for 35 days but I got through it with only 4 fish casualties.
So you can do it but take care of first things first, the cycle before getting anymore fish. Stay focused on the goal and do what is necessary to bring that 10 gallon with its passenger home safe to cycle harbor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah, I know I need to wait until everything is cycled before I add anything else to the tank, but nitrite levels are falling now. I figure it will be another few weeks before I get anything else (other than maybe some plants) to go in the tank.

according to my test strips, there is 0 ammonia, but the nitrites spiked last week, and are now falling again. The platy is still moving around like he always has. I've been adding the drops that are supposed to help with nitrite issues (can't remember the name, but it doesn't lower the nitrite, it just reduces the effect by making it easier for the fish to breath), and have been adding that according to the instructions on the bottle, as well as doing the constant water changes.

The reason I'm looking for the restock at this point (even though I'm not adding anything for a few more weeks at least), is that my fish store in my area usually doesn't have anything in stock except goldfish and mollies, and about 3 types of saltwater fish, but they told me they will order any kind of fish I want. That can take time though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can also order online or plan a short trip the the nearest big town. Point is the fish will always be there to give instant gratification, but the satisfaction of having control over a problem and making it right is priceless. Then you can restock slowly always on top of the testing and maintenance issues with no more surprises and you'll have a beautifull aquarium you need little advice on but can offer help to others, again priceless. Most importantly you'll feel confident when ready for the next project and have an established aquarium to seed bacteria from and cycle your future tank quickly and easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get that.. I know the tank needs to finish cycling, and I'm in no way saying that I'm going to add anything to it before that is complete. All I wanted was some ideas for some types of fish to add after it is cycled.

I'm not saying that I'm going to go add fish to it tomorrow, it's gonna be awhile before the tank is ready for that. I just wanted some suggestions for types of fish to add when the tank is ready for it.

My thing now is, I have no idea what kind of fish to get, which ones are okay for a 10 gallon tank, and which ones are good for a beginner. I'd like something interesting, but I don't know where to start with looking for different kinds of fish that can do well together in such a small tank. I dont' want to get my tank cycled, and stocked, only to discover I bought fish that will kill each other.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm a fan of tetras, especially candinals. They look great in schools of 100 or schools of 5 and are pretty hardy fish. Research tetras and find a species that you really like and think is cool. I love cardinal, rummynose and penguin tetras.

My other favorites are corydoras catfish. They come in a lot of varieties and are pretty easy to take care of. I have a breeding pair of panda corys that I enjoy, and have 5 of their offspring that I've kept and gave the rest away. Emerald green corys and julii corys are cool too. Otocinclus cats are nice as well.

That's where I would start. Maybe get some glass shrimp or cherry reds. But don't rush the cycling. I have an amazon sword in my 10g along with the tetras, corys, shrimp and snails, and everyone seems to get along great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a fan of tetras, especially candinals. They look great in schools of 100 or schools of 5 and are pretty hardy fish. Research tetras and find a species that you really like and think is cool. I love cardinal, rummynose and penguin tetras.

My other favorites are corydoras catfish. They come in a lot of varieties and are pretty easy to take care of. I have a breeding pair of panda corys that I enjoy, and have 5 of their offspring that I've kept and gave the rest away. Emerald green corys and julii corys are cool too. Otocinclus cats are nice as well.

That's where I would start. Maybe get some glass shrimp or cherry reds. But don't rush the cycling. I have an amazon sword in my 10g along with the tetras, corys, shrimp and snails, and everyone seems to get along great.

fantastic, thank you!
I'm liking the look of the cardinal tetras, so I may go with a school of those (maybe 5 or 6) when the time comes. I'm also thinking of getting 1more platy to keep my mickey mouse platy company, as I've discovered I really enjoy watching the one I have.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds good. When looking at stocking a tank, whether its a small freshwater one like yours, a huge planted tank, a saltwater fish-only tank, or a reef, the same pirinciples apply. You want to create as complete an ecosystem as possible so that your tank functions properly while you do less work. To do that, you want fish that perform different jobs. For example, scavengers (corys, otocinclus cats, etc.) clean up the bottm of your tank and keep your food waste in check. A chinese algae eater, snails and shrimps keep your algae from getting out of control. Your other fish (tetras, platys, etc.) eat microinvertebrates; you might not see them, but in an established tank (especially if you have a plant) they're there. You'll have fun stocking your tank. 10g is a nice size

1 - 8 of 8 Posts