Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a used 8 gallon Bio Cube, which seems like a good option for me. It looks fairly uncomplicated and my brother in law has one and really likes it. It's got everything built right in as far as I can tell, or am I wrong already?
Here's what I'm thinking as far as fish: 1 female betta, 1 or 2 African Dwarf Frogs (which are supposed to be compatible with bettas), I'm really partial to Plecos, which are supposed to be fine with Bettas but apparently not so good with frogs, are there any alternatives to Plecos that would work with Bettas and frogs or should I completely forget about those? I used to have one of those Kuhliis when I was a kid but I'm not sure how they'd work with Bettas and frogs. Also, I really like snails but can't find anything conclusive on how they work with Bettas.
I'd like live plants as well and I'm wondering if that's a good idea or not - and what I should get. I already know plastic plants can damage the fragile skin of the frogs.
Anything else I can add or have I exceeded my quota here? I'm thinking a couple of Neons but I don't know about those, they just don't do so much for me. I like Guppies but they breed so much and I read the Bettas might nip them.
I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure out exactly what I can/should put in the tank (hopefully built around the idea of a Betta and 1-2 frogs).
As you may already be able to tell, my mind is sort of unorganized so list-form would be extremely helpful.
Thank you very much in advance for your advise,

Ishy

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the Site! 8 gallons? if u r researching u wouldve found out that 8 gallons is a little small for a beginner. i'd stick with just a female betta and the frogs-or not. i thought frogs like cool water while bettas need warm water?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello that really is small especially as it will have very little filtration. I don't recommend the frogs as they prefer shallow well planted tanks. As for plecos they grow far to large 30cm/ 1ft regardless of tank size. Why not try for one male betta and 2 females, surface plants and camboma plants. If you want a bottom fish 3-4 corys will look great but don't over stock it! Instead try to breed the bettas it will be rewarding and very interesting as they build bubble nests etc. Good luck

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
NO if they arre not breeding they are vigorously attacking each other! just stick to 1 female betta!

·
Registered
54 Posts
So how do they manage in the wild! One male with 2 or more females to display to and plenty of plants so the females can stay away from the male when theyre fed up with his attention, has always worked for me! Just don't keep two males in one tank as they will kill each other!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
and keep an extra tank on hand in case they do breed, because no matter how many hiding spots, 8 gallons is so small the male CAN and WILL eventually find the females! protecting the eggs, he will even try to kill the Mother!!!!!:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts