Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought what was labeled as a ryukin (he looks more like a fantail to me, but it's hard to be sure since he's small). He's missing about 80-90% of his dorsal (the bit that is still there is towards the back). I put him in a 10 gallon quarantine tank (unfortunately uncycled) and treated the water and added aquarium salt. I'm doubtful that it's fin-rot, since the rest of his fins appear short and round, but fairly intact. He's in good spirits and was behaving normally in the store.

So here's the dillema: I will be gone for 3 nights and will be worrying about him the entire time. Any tips for helping him recover/keep him comfortable while I'm gone, would be greatly appreciated!! I know my timing was bad, but he was watching me in the store and all I could think of was how bad his chances were going to be if I left him there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the response! I probably can't, unfortunately. I'm going to do a pwc and make sure everything's as good as can be before I go and the second I come back. Unfortunately, I wasn't really prepared for this. It's weird though, for being so chewed up he acts completely normal. Actually, he's been very curious and outgoing.

I do have another question. If he makes it (which at this point seems likely), I'd really like to move him in with my two medium sized ryukins, however they are only in 25 gallon tank right now. If I do 2 water changes a week do you think they will be okay for 6 months or so (I'm also currrently running bout 70 gals of filtration on the 25)? Or should I keep him in the 10? The new guy is very small, but my other two grew so fast. I don't want to stunt anyone. I'll be upgrading my tank to a 55 gallon after I finish my last semester at school and move...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts