Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a reefer....... But I'm starting up a freshwater planted tank. If there's one thing I've learned about aquariums, it is to start with high quality equipment the FIRST time, otherwise you only end up buying the "good stuff" later.

So...........

I'm in the building process of a 135 gal set-up.
I've got 450+watts of 6500K light, and pressurized CO2.

But, having all the right equipment doesn't make me an expert......

My question is..........

From "reefing", I know that certain corals can get too much light and "bleach out".

Can / will / does this happen with freshwater plants also ? I am assuming that my tank will be considered a medium to medium high light tank. Can I still grow plants that are listed as "low" light in my tank, or will they "bleach out" like the corals ???

I'm gathering the last of the essentials for this system, (still have to stain/varnish the stand and canopy), and I'll post pics when the tank is finally set-up.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You correct your between 3 and 4 WPG of light. Now you need to look at sub.... you going to need a good plant sub, or a good layered sub. You can research that on the web to read up about it because there are so many thoghts on the ideal your going to need to pick what you think is best. I use a planted tank designed gravel, it can get expensive quickly on large tanks so shop around and save you dolars.This is not a down time because now you need to read up on the plants that you like you can use the web again with sites that are plant profiles.... check University sites as will they have alot of info there if you just search there sites. Also, now would be a good time to learn about ferts and tank layout. Just like in SW tanks layout make a planted tnak, your shotting for nature look.

Have fun and if you need any help after you learn about those things just ask......

·
Registered
756 Posts
At first glance I would consider your 3.3wpg a high light tank. But is sounds like normal flourescents and not T5, so this may be considered medium-high. Besides the watts, the Lux comes into play especially with deeper tanks.

You should be able to grow just about anything if you apply enough CO2, have a good substrate, and dose macros/micro elements. However, there are some plants that will not do good in direct light. One kind that comes to mind are Anubias. They are slow growing and can get spot algae under direct light. I plant mine under other plants like Amazon swords or in the shadows of driftwood.

So, it's not like you can't plant what you want, it's just that you have to learn where to plant them....and when. Plants like crypts seem to be more sensitve to changes in the water, so I would plants these after a tank has been established for a few weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts