Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Aspiring Aquarist
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am thinking of getting a couple of Zebra otos for my 10g (soon to be planted) tank. I am wondering if these fish are rare or super expensive, I am on a budget. If I cannot find zebra otos than I am just going to get regular otos. Any opinions on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Agreed. The only time you will ever find them at a place like Petsmart, Petco, etc. is if they ship as "contaminants" with the regular batch. Not very likely but has been known to happen from time to time.

Online is about the only place you'll find them. Sometimes a "true" LFS will be able to acquire them. Pricing will range anywhere from $12-$25 per fishy. Yikes. I just paid $13 for my little guys.

·
Remedial Cory Breeder
12 Posts
Greetings. I generally have these available, but due to high losses in shipping and acclimation, usually at the $25 price.

My last importation was for 100 fish and after a couple of months, 60 of them have survived and are in excellent shape. Have not lost one since week 3.

I just brought in another 100 on Wednesday and had 10 DOA's and 12 more that died within 12 hours. Hopefully, I will get another 60 stabilized over the next few weeks. I hope so, as the demand for them is very high. I am routinely offered $75 for a mature pair of them.

One of my favorite fish - but not easy.

Cheers. - Frank

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Good to know. Of the (5) I just got in, I lost one. But...the interesting thing of the casulty, it was due to injury. I had another one that had a small wound by the pelvic fin which is suspicious as I've never know Oto's to experience any type of aggressiveness.

My remaining four are doing just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts