Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks! i am brand new to this forum and desperately trying to figure out what is wrong with my bottom-feeder carp. i noticed last night that he is breathing about a hundred breaths per min. and from all the googling i can't figure out what is wrong with him. i did a partial water change last night but still quick breathing and darting quickly in the tank.

i have a 26 gal freshwater tank and only two fish- am trying to segue out of keeping fish but really hope i can save this guy from any suffering. does anyone out here know what this could be?

thank you.
michele
:dont_tap_the_glass:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the forum.It is pretty much impossible to determine what is wrong without more information.Need to know all the water parameters.Have you added anything new to the tank.How long you had the fish type of filtration.Pretty much everything you can tell us about the setup and im sure we can help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello folks! i am brand new to this forum and desperately trying to figure out what is wrong with my bottom-feeder carp. i noticed last night that he is breathing about a hundred breaths per min. and from all the googling i can't figure out what is wrong with him. i did a partial water change last night but still quick breathing and darting quickly in the tank.

i have a 26 gal freshwater tank and only two fish- am trying to segue out of keeping fish but really hope i can save this guy from any suffering. does anyone out here know what this could be?

thank you.
michele
:dont_tap_the_glass:
Please provide, age of tank, filtration, p.h levels, amonia levels, nirite levels....

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
too small of a tank. carp are really for ponds and we have some comet goldfish at my school almost 2 feet long! I doubt that's the reason for his rapid breathing though, and agree with the other posts about more info. how big is the filter? type of filter? any bubblers in the tank? if the water level is high enough to prevent a hang-on-the-back filter to (literally) act like a waterfall, that could be the problem... then again a bubbler being added could help too, because disturbance of the suface creates more oxygen in the water. rapid breathing is usually a sign of either stress, or (most likely and most common) lack of oxygen.... good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts