Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang, my fiances sister decided that to add coolness to my tank she would get an oscar, a jack dempsey, and a pike cichlid...now before i go any further i understand they get big and a 55 gallon is not big enough for them, but they are all quite small now, so i have some time before i switch them over to 2 larger tanks...

i was just curious if anyone has a pike cichlid because he seems to be a very curious fish and it says that they hide most of the time in caves and my tank has plenty of caves in it, but he usually is out and about exploring the tank...

also O.J. the oscar, Mike the pike cichlid, and Jonsey the Jack Dempsey and even Dick the bullhead appear to be schooling together...idk if its common or uncommon for different fish to school together, but it started with just O.J. and Dick swimming together all the time, and the other 2 just hanging out but now all 4 of them hangout in the rocky side of the tank and if 1 of them leaves they all get up and follow, its like the worlds most random gang of fish...ill take a picture of it so you can see what i mean.

i researched them all and it says they are all aggressive and will chase other fish but these 4 seem like the best of friends from Day 1

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Depending on which pike cichlid you have once it gets bigger you could be looking at some problems. Pikes will eat anything that can fit into its mouth. Oscars have been known not to like to many other fish, and I have also seen picks of a full grown oscar tried to eat a 8 inch pleco. Spines got stuck in the oscars mouth and they both died.

Since they are small and will swim together its not normal for these type of fish and once they start growing there will be more battles ahead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts