Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there aquarists, I had some general questions about my situation.

I have a 37 gallon tank and it honestly has enough room for baby fry to grow safely in the big tank due to the size and amount of hiding places they can (and have been) hiding. However, the fry that were just born were 5 unidentified fish (although I assume they are a sort of molly fish since those are my live bearers. I'm keeping them in a floating breeding box with a little bit of christmas moss in it as well.

My main questions were:
  • what are your thoughts on keeping the moss in the breeder box? is that a bad idea?
  • what is the most optimal way to clean their breeder box & how often would you clean it? I have seen a guy on youtube who cleaned his breeder box with a syringe

My ultimate plans are to keep the fry until I feel they are safe (big enough) to release back in with the main tank. In the meanwhile I want to watch them develop, optimally.

Any additional tips on fry care is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Registered

I have a 37 gallon tank and it honestly has enough room for baby fry to grow safely in the big tank due to the size and amount of hiding places they can (and have been) hiding. However, the fry that were just born were 5 unidentified fish (although I assume they are a sort of molly fish since those are my live bearers. I'm keeping them in a floating breeding box with a little bit of christmas moss in it as well.

My main questions were:
  • what are your thoughts on keeping the moss in the breeder box? is that a bad idea?
  • what is the most optimal way to clean their breeder box & how often would you clean it? I have seen a guy on youtube who cleaned his breeder box with a syringe

My ultimate plans are to keep the fry until I feel they are safe (big enough) to release back in with the main tank. In the meanwhile I want to watch them develop, optimally.

Hi!馃槂
Cool! You're a proud parent I see!馃槀馃槀
I would just do what the guy did with cleaning the breeder box for it seems like he's doing ok!馃槂 nope, I think you should keep the moss in the box because this will give the little tikes comfort; you know? 馃槂 it sounds to me like you're doing grrr-eat, our fish buddy.
With you little babies, I understand about the breeder box but we just had a brood of Black Convicts and there's like 30 of them and we let "nature" run her course, actually. We didn't use a breeder box and the parents are great! We haven't lost 1 but then these are different fish.馃槂

Registered
Hi!馃槂
Cool! You're a proud parent I see!馃槀馃槀
I would just do what the guy did with cleaning the breeder box for it seems like he's doing ok!馃槂 nope, I think you should keep the moss in the box because this will give the little tikes comfort; you know? 馃槂 it sounds to me like you're doing grrr-eat, our fish buddy.
With you little babies, I understand about the breeder box but we just had a brood of Black Convicts and there's like 30 of them and we let "nature" run her course, actually. We didn't use a breeder box and the parents are great! We haven't lost 1 but then these are different fish.馃槂
Hi!馃槂
Just checking on your new babies? Everyone doing good? Are they getting bigger?馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!馃槂
Just checking on your new babies? Everyone doing good? Are they getting bigger?馃槂
Hi there!

They are doin g great. I actually found two more babies! Up to 7! haha.
Yes I am a proud parent! LOL.

Today (after three days) I noticed the food in the breeder basket collected and I didn'nt look super hard but it seemed like there was either a very small amount of -> (whatever you would call it - the process of decaying bio debris / food and the natural subsequent result usually being something that grows like water mold around it) and eventually I just simply pured them into a net that stayed in the tank then I fully power washed the basket.

Overall, the babies are doing great. I only feed them twice a day for now.

*************Also, I really appreciate the reply... would you be interested in helping me with some after math algae bloom clean up? (I have a black beard algae issue that is wreaking havoc on my plants...... I trim.... I even completely replant.... it's still an issue every few days......... I have no solution so far and I am getting very frustrated! If you see this and can help, let me know!! :) Thanks! Happy hobbying.

Registered
Hi, hon!馃槂
I was thrilled from hearing from you!馃槂 you blessed our day!馃槂
How old are your babies now? Real soon you'll be able to get rid of that basket; ey??馃槂 what fun!馃槂
Okay, I have read up on that black beard algae somewhat because I enjoy learning for our hobby; right? I know that you can use API algae remover, just follow the directions, sweetie, we use this too!馃槂 plus, I did read about something about removing the things in the aquarium, the hard stuff, and baking it for a couple hours in your oven, I think it said, 200 degrees, and this will kill the algae on those things. Now, live plants, I believe that you can make a bleach solution with part water and do a dipping effect for them and rinse really well for them. The plastic plants I'd fill the kitchen sink with hot water with white vinegar and let them soak for a little while then scrub them, rinse well, and let the air get to them. When everything is completed then I'd place it back into an aquarium that you've scrubbed the sides off and vacuumed the substrate. If you have some sort of filtration, I'd make sure that this was cleaned well too. Then, as you're feeling up with clean water add your API to it! Then, 3 days later you are to add the same amount of dosage you've done before, hon!馃槂 that's it!馃槂
Some folks don't like using chemicals but sometimes you need to and I respect that but I give advice and let the keeper do what they want to, it's your aquarium and your babies!馃槂
I really do hope this will help you out, our friend, really!馃槂馃槂馃槂
Hi there!

They are doin g great. I actually found two more babies! Up to 7! haha.
Yes I am a proud parent! LOL.

Today (after three days) I noticed the food in the breeder basket collected and I didn'nt look super hard but it seemed like there was either a very small amount of -> (whatever you would call it - the process of decaying bio debris / food and the natural subsequent result usually being something that grows like water mold around it) and eventually I just simply pured them into a net that stayed in the tank then I fully power washed the basket.

Overall, the babies are doing great. I only feed them twice a day for now.

*************Also, I really appreciate the reply... would you be interested in helping me with some after math algae bloom clean up? (I have a black beard algae issue that is wreaking havoc on my plants...... I trim.... I even completely replant.... it's still an issue every few days......... I have no solution so far and I am getting very frustrated! If you see this and can help, let me know!! :) Thanks! Happy hobbying.

Registered
Hi!馃槂
Howz your little babies doing now, hon?
Ours are getting huge and it seems like there's a good 35 to 40 of them!
I'll be setting up a much larger habitat in just a few days now!馃槂 really psyched!馃槂7
Hi, hon!馃槂
I was thrilled from hearing from you!馃槂 you blessed our day!馃槂
How old are your babies now? Real soon you'll be able to get rid of that basket; ey??馃槂 what fun!馃槂
Okay, I have read up on that black beard algae somewhat because I enjoy learning for our hobby; right? I know that you can use API algae remover, just follow the directions, sweetie, we use this too!馃槂 plus, I did read about something about removing the things in the aquarium, the hard stuff, and baking it for a couple hours in your oven, I think it said, 200 degrees, and this will kill the algae on those things. Now, live plants, I believe that you can make a bleach solution with part water and do a dipping effect for them and rinse really well for them. The plastic plants I'd fill the kitchen sink with hot water with white vinegar and let them soak for a little while then scrub them, rinse well, and let the air get to them. When everything is completed then I'd place it back into an aquarium that you've scrubbed the sides off and vacuumed the substrate. If you have some sort of filtration, I'd make sure that this was cleaned well too. Then, as you're feeling up with clean water add your API to it! Then, 3 days later you are to add the same amount of dosage you've done before, hon!馃槂 that's it!馃槂
Some folks don't like using chemicals but sometimes you need to and I respect that but I give advice and let the keeper do what they want to, it's your aquarium and your babies!馃槂
I really do hope this will help you out, our friend, really!馃槂馃槂馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi!馃槂
Howz your little babies doing now, hon?
Ours are getting huge and it seems like there's a good 35 to 40 of them!
I'll be setting up a much larger habitat in just a few days now!馃槂 really psyched!馃槂7

That's insane hahaha I have no idea what's wrong with my molly mothers LOL like I read online that they have 40-100 babies (like your fish) and so far I have only 4 cremsicle babies (that are teenagers now - but still 4? That's it? haha). Then I guess one of the silver lyretail molly mothers had 7... not 40 hahaha.

They are all doing well !

Goodluck on your new setup! :)

Registered
Hi, kiddo! It was awesome to hear from you!!馃槂
That's grrr-eat!!馃槂馃槂 it's exciting!馃槂
You have to realize that Black Convicts are a totally different species then Molly's, that's are. Mollys live bearers our babies are mouth bearers and good parents! Yeah, mollies and such will eat their babies but mouth bearers will not. If they feel that there is danger around, they'll suck up their babies back into their mouths! Believe me, we are amazed by them; you know? 馃槂馃槂
Well, yesterday; whewwwww!! I got a 60 gallon setup! Seriously! 馃槂 I had sooo much fun but I have to be honest with you, it was a lot of work though and a workout!!馃槀馃槀馃槀 it took me like 45 minutes to an hour to catch all the critters and, unfortunately, I found 2 that I did not...馃槩馃槩 I tried but I guess it happens, there are plenty left!! 馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
Community Tank

My main questions were:

I like to raise brine shrimp whenever I see that one of my females are about to give birth. The shrimp are pretty easy to raise. I bought 3 bases that you screw an empty 2 liter drink bottle on to raise them in. To start with you need the base,an empty bottle, some aquarium salt, the brine shrimp eggs , a lamp to shine on the setup, and a small air pump. After the initial cost outlay, which isn't much, you can raise a batch anytime you need some very inexpensively. The supply's ( Salt and the brine shrimp eggs) will last a LONG time. Then you can give your fry a high protein live meal that gives them a added boost of growth. Adult fish love them too. The process was interesting to me, and my grand children also. Good luck with your babies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts