Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Tunze Nano R/O system, and I have one question. The instruction/owner's manual does not make any reference to the amount of water being dismissed by the lower opening where the run-off water is ejected. It seems that there is significantly more water being dismissed by the drain/run-off hose than there is from the purified water hose at the top of the unit. Is this normal for the R/O systems?

This unit, I know is a lower GPD model with about 7-15 GPD production, but it seems that it is producing more waste water than purified water. Maybe this is what it is supposed to do since the manual does that about 20% of the water is retained as osmosis filtered water.

Here is what the manual says:

Performance / water production:
30 to 60 litres/day (7.9 to 15.8 USgal.) at 3 to 6 bar
(43 to 87 PSI) and 15 deg. to 25 deg. Celsius (59
deg. to 77 deg. F).
Thin-film composite membrane (2): Removes
dissolved salts, among other things.
Carbon Block filter (3): Removes all smaller sediment
particles, chlorine, compounds of chlorine, organic
contaminations, residue of pesticides and of other
chemical compounds, smell and taste-bearing
substances.
Retention ratio: 20 percent (i.e. 20 percent of the
water is retained as osmosis water).

MY NEXT QUESTION: Since I am going to be using a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of R/O:Tap water.... Would it be safe to use the run-off water from the R/O system as the tap water to be mixed in?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My unit now 25gpd wastes 3 gallons to every gallon of RO produced.

My new one is a 2:1 but cost just under 1 grand.

you can salvage that wastewater from the RO unit somewhere and use it elsewhere in the house or in the garden.

Absolutely not. that is more like crap water not tap water.

I do a 3:1 mix now, 3 parts RO 1 part tap. saddle valve it and bring a fresh tap line to your reservoir, speaking of that how large is your reservoir or holding tank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My unit now 25gpd wastes 3 gallons to every gallon of RO produced.

My new one is a 2:1 but cost just under 1 grand.

you can salvage that wastewater from the RO unit somewhere and use it elsewhere in the house or in the garden.

Absolutely not. that is more like crap water not tap water.

I do a 3:1 mix now, 3 parts RO 1 part tap. saddle valve it and bring a fresh tap line to your reservoir, speaking of that how large is your reservoir or holding tank?
My R/O holding tank is 40 gal....this system will feed partial changes for my 54 gal tank.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
ok I got a 45g tank and a 45g holding tank.

I fill it up to the 5g mark with straight tap from cold water supply line and (has a heater in the holding tank) then shut the valve off and fill the rest with RO.

we got similar tank sizes as I got a 52g as well so yeah the 3:1 mix should be fine. did you test the GH/KH with different tap to RO ratios as well? Thats how I got the 3:1 mix.

My new unit I wont have to do that with, it will be straight RO as there will be no DI unit on this new one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...just did a little chemistry... I went with a 3:1 R/O:tap ratio and my pH was exactly at 7.0 GH was at 1 degree Kh was at 6 degrees

With the 4:1 ratio, my pH was in between 6.5 and 7.0 (the graduations on my color chart are in .5 increments) GH was at 1 degree and KH stayed at 6 degrees

I will have discus in this tank so I am going to go with the 4:1 ratio to keep my pH about 6.7-6.8

My 40 gal holding bin will also have a heater and an aerator.... I think I am set to put the water in the tank and get my filtration going.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
thats what I keep

yep set it up see where its at with gravel and woods ext in the tank. I use a ph realtime meter for my Co2 levels, I stay between 6.8 and 7.0 depending if Co2 is on or not.

sounds like you are good to go. good luck

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am new to researching RO units as I have just ordered one. The only issue I can see (and this is from what I have been TOLD by other, not personal experience so if it's not 100% accurate let me know), many people have told me that you should store straight RO water for more then a couple days. Since most of the impurities are gone it can start to grow bacteria after a few days. I was going to get a smaller unit and store the water for my water changes but I ended up getting a 100 gpd unit so I could get all my water the day before and use it.
Does anyone else have any experience with storing RO water or have you heard that it shouldn't be stored for periods of time?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
It can grow bacteria yes , however I can say in a SEALED holding tank nothing grows in there, however I heat mine to 88 then do my PWC's

I store mine for a few days at a time, the most would be 5-6 days without touching the tank, no baddies. With impurities being gone.....where does the bacteria come from and what does it feed off? that one I cant figure out. I mean they say store bottled water for disasters and stuff and change them out every two years or so. anything bottled/canned/sealed will be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts