Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Ive heard that there are a select few plants that can survive even with extemely low lighting. I have a 55 gallon and only 30 watts of flourescent tube lighting. The two plants Im wondering about most is java moss and the amazon sword. I plan on getting T5's somewhere in the future, but its just not in my budget right now. Would these plants even stand a chance of surviving??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
is it a 48" bulb? for under 15 bucks you can DIY one from home depot (the fixture its a twin 48" t-12 or t-8's then go to walmart and for 3 bucks get the 40w 6500K bulbs. you should be around 1.5 wpg at that rate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 75 gallon tank with a single 30 watt T8 light bulb. I have two anubias several java ferns and one amazon sword. The sword looks like it needs more light but the other two are doing fine. The sword has been in the tank since October and has lost some if its large leaves. Some time in Nov. I did add a flourish plant tab under the roots so I am assuming it is looking a little down because of the lighting.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Plants like java fern, java moss, anubias should do ok in there, they won't grow quickly like those in higher light.

I just recently bought a two-tube T8 fluorescent light fixture to place on top of a glass canopy...this will give me about 1.8 wpg. Check out Drs Foster and Smith or like WhiteDevil said, the local hardware stores. They'll have cheaper fixtures to get you where you want to be for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts