Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the minimum tank size for a marine aquarium?

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Really there's not a minimum. That being said the smaller the tank the harder it is going to be. I would say go for as big of a tank that you can, but most recommend 60 gallon or more. The bigger the better and easier to maintain water parameters. IMO

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay... Another question... How big for a small reef tank?

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
I would say get one of those 40 gallon breeder tanks and as big of a tank you can for a sump. The footprint of the 40b is 36 x18 and gives a lot of space for your rock set up and the height of the tank is shallow enough for more lighting options. This is all my opinion, and someone that has a lot more experience may steer you another direction. They do make nano tanks that can do reef as small as 14 gallons I believe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I'll see to it when I get the money...

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
For the most part Matt is correct.The bigger the better and easier to keep accurate levels in the water.
But if you didn't want fish and only wanted 1 or 2 corals or a couple shrimp(inverts) you could probly get away with a 10g.Most fish won't do well in such a small tank but a cleaner,coralbanded or peppermint shrimp would be happy.
Check out the nano reef forum,we used to have several members with "nano" tanks.
This was just one ofthe great threads;
http://www.aquariumforum.com/f22/starting-5-gallon-marine-tank-41938.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want a reef tank with common and tomato clown fish.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and those black and white ones that I forgot the name

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm... I guess that's why some people call the black and white clownfish "Marlin's evil cousin"...

·
Vodka Doser
6,486 Posts
Amphiprion ocellaris or the Black and White Clownfish, should not be housed with a Tomato Clownfish, the Tomato will kill it.
Ocellaris should only be housed in small tanks with other Ocellaris fish.
Tomato
Clarkii
Maroon
Skunk
to name a few, are some of the meanest fish out there, and will kill most other clowns in their territory, in smaller tanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh... Okay

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So just the common clown fish...
How big do they get?

·
Vodka Doser
6,486 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how much would it cost for a nano reef?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like... coral and anemones and one or two common clownfish kinda nano reef... I plan on getting a larger tank soon, so maybe I'll use my 20 gallon tank for it.... also most of the LED lights have gone out in it... anyone know where I can get some LED light strands?

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Lighting is WAY MORE IMPORTANT in reefs than any "planted freshwater " tank.
"strip lights" will not work !The salt added to the water(which is a solid when you purchase it) "filters"/"cuts" light(push light through solid material).A stronger light is "one of the most important" parts of a reef tank.
Any reef under 30G "in theory" can be run without filter and/or protien skimmer;
IF WATER CHANGES MAKE UP FOR ALL OF THEM.
If you don't want to change water forever(fun in the FW world?) then don't think this system could even be close to the same price of FW.
If every tank hasn't cost more than a HS graduate should be able to calculate,then I'll just say 5x the cost to set up and AT LEAST 2X the cost to keep runnig(I am probly alittle lite for real)of any freshwater set up.
I have [email protected] 120 ,[email protected] a 29 marine set ups ,AND [email protected],75,55,[email protected],[email protected],[email protected] 20 and [email protected] freshwater.
Sometimes setting up what you can afford doesn't take in account what can keep /or take care of?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts