Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i dont know what is ph and how to raise it and how to check it and how much do my molly need it.please solve my problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best testing kit IMO is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit, because it's accurate and economical to use. It also has a ph test kit that is very easy to use. I really would not worry too much about the ph unless you have wild caught fish. Most fish that are bred in captivity, are bred in water with a ph similar to yours, and can adjust much easier to a different ph. Your mollies should be fine unless your ph is unusually high or low. ;)

P.S. You should be able to go to the PetSmart website and find the master test kit online. Print the page the kit is on that shows the online price, and take it to your local PetSmart. They should honor the web price, which is about half of what the store charges! ;)

Reactions: sam9953012690

·
Registered
18 Posts
pH is a measure of how acidic basic (or neutral) a liquid is. Something is acidic when it has an excess of Hydrogen ions (H+) that will bind to the H2O molecules in the solution increasing the number of Hydronimum (H3O+) ions. Something is Basic when it has an excess of OH- ions, binding to H2O in a solution, thereby decreasing the level of Hydronium. Something is neutral (plain water) when H+ and OH- concentrations are equal. For your fish, if your pH falls outside of this range, enzymes and proteins within their bodies will become inactivated and denatured, which may kill them. It is important to google the specific type of fish you have and find out what pH suits their physiology best...just because they are just little mollies doesn't mean they won't be affected by pH. Great job coming here and asking for help, if you have any more questions definitely post here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
From what I just looked at, you want your fish tank to have a pH between 7.0 and 8.0. Go out and get a pH tester, and if your pH is too low or too high you can go to the pet store and buy chemicals that will lower your pH or raise your pH depending on what is needed (if anything).

·
Registered
55 Posts
From what I just looked at, you want your fish tank to have a pH between 7.0 and 8.0. Go out and get a pH tester, and if your pH is too low or too high you can go to the pet store and buy chemicals that will lower your pH or raise your pH depending on what is needed (if anything).
Be VERY careful when playing with the ph of your tank. Adjusting it too much one way or the other with chemicals will alter it too quickly, and this could kill your fish. If your mollys have been in your tank for awhile with no problems, I strongly recommend you leave the ph alone. Continually adjusting it is dangerous to your fish's health, and not necessary. I stand behind saying that unless you have an extra high or low ph, your fish should be find just the way your ph is without adjusting it. ;) If you decide you do want to adjust the ph, be very careful, and add the adjuster slowly so you don't change it too quickly for your fish to adjust. There are also other natural things you can add to your tank to adjust it more naturally, like Texas holey rock to raise the ph, and peat or driftwood to lower it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
When useing products like PH Down and PH UP it may not take care of the problem, if you have high alkaline you would need to lower the alkalinity to keep your PH low and if you have low alkilinity you will have problems keeping your PH high with out raising your alkilinity, at least most of the time.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you going to mess with the PH in your tank do it in a bucket so if you make a mistake you don't kill your fish. Also, you may want to look into seachem buffers, these powers will basicly automaticly make your ph what the bottle says and it holds it there. I talk with people about this it seems the the Ph up Or Ph down from API needs to be add daily. that doesn't seem cost effective and seems to me it would make alot more work and less time to enjoy your tank. In other words if you going to mess with your Ph I recomend using the seachem products over the API liquids, they are safe and in the long run save you money, in the sense of have to buy so much. ALso you may want to research natural ways to adjust your ph which is even safer to your fish friends

1 - 8 of 8 Posts