Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into hatcheries and things online and I found these two...

Artemia Cultivation Units

and

Continuous Hatch 'N Feeder

would these both require me to keep buying eggs?

Is there an easy way to use a small, maybe rubbermaid, container to hatch these guys. I want to feed them to two tanks so using the second one may not be such a good idea. Does the first one just put them directly into the tank as well?

If I could avoid gettting one of these that would be awesome. Ideally I would like to have a continuous supply without the need to buy new eggs. Is that possible? Will they breed or whatever on their own in a tank with thousands of them?

Requirements (essentially):
- I would like to buy eggs only once
- I would like to be able to feed two seperate tanks
- It must be cost effective (maybe less than $20 for the whole setup?)
- I don't mind using "unnattractive" methods or DIY setups, it's food, not for looks, so a cheap container would be better than a tank for me.
- I would like it to use as little electricity as possible (you should see how much I have plugged into one room... yikes! We will say two outlets max please.)

Any information you guys can offer up would be very helpful. Thank you.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Its possible to raise your own but it requires a salt water tank to raise to adults then gather the eggs. Its more economical to purchase the eggs. The eggs last a long time and has many batches.

If you go this route, don't make it their primary food as once they get a couple of days old they start loosing nutritional value.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts