Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a water wisteria, a bronze cryptocorne, a clump of dwarf hairgrass, two moss balls, and a bit of java moss on a coconut shell.

I've put them in my extra 5 gal. that I use as a quarantine tank for now.

How long should I quarantine them, and how can I kill/prevent algae till I know they are safe to put in my aquariums?

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Im inpatient so I have my own method of quarantining. I usually dont quarantine them for algae because they show up in a tank no matter how cautious you are.

I just soak mine in aquarium salt+aquarium water for 30 mins-1hr to kill parasites, snails, eggs. Remove plants, rinse. Raise plants over main tank, and spray a bit with Flourish Excel. The excel will kill algae, and whatever drips off into the main tank during the spray will feed the plants. At first, I didnt use the excel, I just added it for an extra precaution.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Not sure,I dont ever measure it, but I think roughly 1-2tbsp/1gallon.

Reactions: longtail4711

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
I picked up a water wisteria, a bronze cryptocorne, a clump of dwarf hairgrass, two moss balls, and a bit of java moss on a coconut shell.

I've put them in my extra 5 gal. that I use as a quarantine tank for now.

How long should I quarantine them, and how can I kill/prevent algae till I know they are safe to put in my aquariums?
I give up how long? *r2

I don't qt my plants.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
I give up how long? *r2

I don't qt my plants.
I actually dont either *r2

BUT I used to and thats how I did it :) I should continue doing it for sterile measures :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave everything a soak in the salt solution, Nurse Platy.

The reason I was quarantining is because I got my plants at PetsMart and Petco...Which is pretty much all we have around here. Their tanks very obviously had BBA and snails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts