Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*o2 So I have a micro tank set up and was looking at it while sitting at the computer and saw a small egg attached to a rock. It is just below where the filter lets out (heavy water flow). So I looked it up and out of the fish I have it looks like it is a pygmy cat egg! What do I do now? I didn't even know there was a male and female. How can I make sure the little guy lives? Any help would be much appreciated as I have only ever worked with live bearers

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just a single egg huh? Interesting... There might be more hidden somewhere, especially if you have plants. My corys always lay their eggs on the undersides of leaves.

Well, parents often eat the eggs if they're left in the same tank, so it's hit or miss that way. Though I've heard pygmys don't eat the eggs (not sure). The options then are just leaving them in the tank and seeing what happens, or removing the egg(s) so they don't get eaten. One option for seperation is to take a small glass jar, toss the egg in there, and cover the jar with mesh or cheesecloth or something like that that doesn't restrict water flow. If the water is stagnant, the eggs usually get a fungus and decompose. If the tank is really small, I would just leave the egg(s) and see what happens.

How many pygmys do you have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah only one egg. When I researched to find out which of the species it was from I read that the female pygmy only lays one egg per male and since I only have two of them I was assuming that was why I had the single egg. I have an otto, CPD, micro rasbora, and lamp eye killis in with it. Do you think any of them will eat it? I would do the jar idea but the tank is kind of small to take up too much room with a jar

·
Registered
724 Posts
All those fish have pretty tiny mouths, so I'd have to say no to them eating the egg. How big is your tank? I did the jar thing in a 5g tank with a baby food jar I got from a friend; it only took up a little room, not too bad. But, it's a lot easier to just leave the egg. After all, if it is fertilized it'll hatch in a few days anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts