Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spot, our dog-faced puffer, puffed up to about three times his normal size. it's the first time he's done it since we got him. why would he puff up? the only fish that has acted aggressive to him was our ocellaris clown, who was on the other side of the tank hangin' with our new clarkii clown. he was staring at the mirror, so maybe he puffed up to see what he would look like? what other things would make spot puff up?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, that means our puffer is a male? he's always been playing with his reflection, but never puffed up at it. it was just today our clownfish used to be best friends with him and suddenly started to chase and dart at him. our clown is a female-i saw her ovary deposit tube yesterday. is it something to do with the new introduction of a clarkii clown yesterday?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It doesn't necessarily mean the puffer is a male. On the Dog-faced puffer (Arothron nigropunctatus I'm assuming) there is no way to know the sex of the individual fish without cutting it open.

I am making the assumption it is a male because the males of most species are typically more possesive of territories than females, but you can't be 100% sure with the puffer.

By the way, what part of L.I. are you from? I grew on the beach in Patchogue.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i'm in massapequa. yes, the puffer is an A. nigropunctatus. he is a much more darker, chocolate brown color, unlike the picture you show. he does fade into an almost pure white when he sleeps, though. he also will turn green-gray on the dorsal surface and pink-gray on the ventral surface, but we haven't seem him do that lately. he also has bright, golden-yellow fins, unlike the pale brown fins your puffer has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts