Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought dwarf puffers were into brackish water. Then I read this:

Dwarf Puffers : Home

I was planning on setting up a ten gallon dwarf puffer tank but now I'm confused! I was always informed they like some salt. Please help.

·
Registered
724 Posts
No salt for these little guys. Freshwater for sure. I have a tank with them too and they're great; they love bloodworms and snails

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm interesting. The guy at my LFS says they like some salt. My Tropical fish magazine says, "They can easily be kept in slightely brackish water, but do not try to keep them in heavily brackish water." So i guess i'll just go 100% fresh???

·
Registered
724 Posts
They can be kept in slightly brackish water, but they don't prefer it to freshwater, so it's much easier to just stick with fresh. Brackish may have something to do with their breeding though; I've never tried to breed them so I'm not sure about all that. But as far as everyday dwarf pufferfish keeping goes, freshwater is good.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You're going to love them! Ask your LFS if you can have some of their snails (which I'm sure they'll be happy to give you for free) and put them in your puffer tank. It is so fun to watch them hunt for snails! And it's a great way to encourage their natural feeding behaviors

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh really? That would be fun to watch. Fish are better than T.V. Sounds good. How many do you think i could fit into a 10 gal? Thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
Waaaaay better than TV for sure! I have 3 in my 10g with lots of plants so they don't have to see each other all the time. These little guys can be aggressive if in too small of a space but as long as they can hide when they want to and have plenty of food they'll be happy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've had this 10 gal set up for about two weeks now. I had a tiny little 13 cent fish in there. All of the parameters seemed fine. So as a test, yesterday I put my wood shrimp in and my very small red belly pacu in. I came home today to find that my 13 cent fish was missing so I'm guessing the pacu got hungry. I also came to find that my wood shrimp had molted. (At first I believed it was the corpse of a half eaten wood shrimp.) Now my parameters are all a little screwy so i have to wait even longer for my puffers.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just do a good sized water change and then see where your parameters are at. Waiting is the hardest part

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well now my nitrites are kinda going crazy. And a buddy of mine had some kind of upside down catfish that was being a jerk to his other catfish so I offered to take it off his hands. So this guy is now in my intended puffer tank. I have to wait even longer for puffers. I was really looking forward to having some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts