Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new here altho I have had my personal tank for going on 6 years now, but have recently adopted a display fish tank at my local Dr surgery. I'm doing all the maintenance by myself but I've never kept a display tank before and I'm running into some problems I've not encountered with my home set up!

The fish in the display tank are fed by auto feeder. I can't get there every day and so resolved to pop in once a week to begin with to check on them and clean out every fortnight or so - although they havent needed much other than food and water changes.

So I went in last week and found that the autofeeder is getting damp inside. Does anyone know a way I can prevent this? I'm not sure how the moisture is getting in: its not much, but its preventing the food from coming out easily. There is a mixture of small sinking pellets and flake in there (I bring them live sea monkeys & bloodworm as a treat every so often!) which isnt ideal, but there is no other way to ensure that they are fed every day.

Also there is a lot of algae growing - more than I'd like anyway! Its on all four sides of the tank. Because it is a display tank they don't want the lights out while there are patients in - but I will push this if necessary. I just wondered if there was any other way of getting rid of algae that would be safe for the fish? There are no live plants in the tank, it has an external filter and the following fish:

4 Melon Barbs
4 Albino Tiger barbs
4 Buenos aires tetra
4 loach
1 oto - although haven't seen him in a while :(

Thanks for any help, and I'm sorry but I'm in the UK, so if you are recommending products it would be helpful to know whats in them or what they look like so I can find an alternative on the UK market!

Thanks!
Lou
xXx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough... I'm not a big fan of using too many chem treatments anyway, Can't get in every week but I'm sure every other week wont be too bad... Thanks for your help.

Can anyone help with the autofeeder problem at all?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts