Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I recently bought a tank off ebay to kick start my interest in aquariums after a few years absent :D

So I just went with a basic option and got some siamese fighting fish and a "complete" tank off ebay.

http(delete this space)//cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300249167617&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020
Thats bascially the tank I got, but its a 43L version.

So I set up the tank and everything was well until I turned the filter on.
Basically the filter seems way to powerfull for the tank. As you can see by the pictures, it sucks the water up from the bottom, and then it has 2 options, it either gets pushed up above the tank and through the filter pads, or it gets pushed out a little hole on the side of the filter which blows bubbles into the tank.

The amount and speed of water coming out of the exit on the side of the filter is so strong, it turns the tank into a wirlpool basically and my little siamese fish look like they are in a washing machine.

So I tried blocking that hole so only water got pumped up into the top of the tank for filtration, but then that makes the flow of water back down into the tank to strong and causes the same effect but from a different direction.

Has anyone had any expeience with these sort of complete tanks and their filters or have any ideas about what I can do?

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I could not get the link to work even after I removed the area you marked. However, I can give you IMO. In my line of work there has been a trend to try and combine equipment inot one unit to save time and space when setting up. There is a problem with this thinking and that is what do you do if lets say in a speaker amp combo the ampo go out, what do you do you have to send the unit out for reapair but now instead of be down one amp you down an amp and a speaker. Samething apllies to aquariums what if the filter or light breaks you have to break down the tank to fix it. Can'r just replace the filter right..... I know why they sell these unit they have a clean look to them, but so does a traditional tank system if you use a cabinet stand, I can hide everything inside including the heater now. So I can get a very clean tank with only a suction line and discharge line viewable. Look and see if the have a control knob of some sort on the filter pump, is the best advise I can give you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts