Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few months, I've noticed small scratch-like cracks starting to appear on the insides of my 90 gallon acrylic aquariums, especially around the middle. Today there was a big earthquake that really rocked and shook the tanks around. When I fed the fish later today, I noticed that the cracks had gotten larger and many more had formed. I am afraid that the tanks could break, but I'm not sure. They aren't leaking and seem stable at the moment. Is there anything I can do to fix these cracks? I'm nervous that the aquariums could collapse or start leaking. Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Never dealt with acrylic tanks but if it is any thing like the acrylic windows there is no good way to patch them and they will continue to get worse. The odd thing is it usually take a fairly sharp blow to crack them. Did some thing fall on the aquarium?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
No, I think they had a 6.9 earthquake yesterday, I know mexicali did and family from SanDiego called via cell phones letting us know they were ok but alot of stuff got messed up down there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, nothing fell on them. There was a 7.2 earthquake that really jostled them around. I'm scared though! I'm debating whether I should just drain the tank before it gets worse (but of course I hope it isn't necessary). I've been reading online about ways to fix scratches/cracks in acrylic but I'm not sure if anything will really work well since the cracks are on the inside of the tank & touching the water.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well if I read the post correctly the cracking started before the quake right?

I know with acrylic windows sometimes they will have small cracks under the frames, usually from not being cutting properly. Then a little bit of stress is applied and the crack will start to run, just like it does on your car window.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Drain it and cut the losses, get it fixed or replace the tank, I am quite sure that the quake spread that crack for sure. My fish used to hide for days when a quake hit, sometimes they acted very very strange days before one hit.

I tell you what, id rather have earthquakes then tornado's, quakes shake, twisters 9 out of 10 times come at night and rather large in size with really no warnings.

The beach was always fun for quakes.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
To me, this is more of a practicality issue and not an aquarium expert issue, so I'll throw in my humble 2 cents.

I agree, cut your losses and get a new tank. Think of it this way, you already have the infrastructure to start a new aquarium, all you are missing is a safe, crack-free tank. Better to replace just a tank instead of a tank, hood, accessories (heater, powerheads, filters), fish, and any valuables caught in a potential collapse.

Best of luck to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts