Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 Gal tank right now with gravel and i definately want to switch it to sand...

#1- Do I need to reset the tank? Meaning dump out the water... and then recycle the tank or can i just tank the gravel out... and install the sand?

#2- Is there anythign special diehard that its crucial?

#3- Any other good advice?

Wes

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
The only stupid question there is, is one that isn't asked.

If you remove your fish, deco and filter to buckets and keep wet. And keep a bucket of water, you can remove the rest. take out gravel and put the sand in. Fill part way with clean fresh dechlorinated water, Add the bucket of tank water, deco, filter. Get the temp of the tank the same as the temp of water in the bucket with fish. Add fish.

Do not clean any deco as it has beneficial bacteria on it.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You don't even need to go that far. You can make the switch with everything still in the tank. I do it all the time.

- Rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again the new sand. Did I mention to rinse the sand?
- Remove existing substrate.
- Tip: After removing the old substrate, let the detrius settle and then using just the tube from your gravel vac, do a partial water change removing the goodies at the bottom.
- Using a glass (glasses work much better) or bowl, fill with sand and slowly lower it into the tank filling it with water. Then slowly lower to the bottom and gently pour it out.

Doing it this way, you should have minimum to zero clouding (providing of course you did step #1) and no effects on occupants.

Then you're on your way to a nice sanded tank.

Enjoy!

P.S...I love sand. *Glasses*

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Regular ole water will do the trick.

Five gallon bucket and a water hose normally works. Getting cold out so you may have to revert to a big pot and the kitchen or tub. I used the latter as it made it alot easier. ;o)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts