Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will I have a generator, and turn of the lights except for 2 hours a day just so the plants get some light, but mainly it for the filtration. In the smaller tanks I just use battery powered air pumps. Just a point of refrence you need two for a 55 gal tank.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I use sponge filters attached to battery powered air pumps in my tanks all the time. The air pumps are dual powered and do not run on battery power until the power is interrupted and when the power is off they take over and the sponge filters take over and aerate the tanks and filter the ammonia for me. The tanks may get a bit cool if it is off for long but if it looks like it will be a longer time I wrap them in a blanket. The fish have never suffered from outages and the sponge filters reseed the larger filters if I have a mini cycle from their being interupted too long. I have never lost a fish this way.

Rose

I should say that the sponge filters and air pumps run all the time whether they are needed or not in preparation for just such an occurence. That way they are cycled and charged at all times.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Is your power out or are you just preparing for one? So far this season I've avoided an outage even though areas near us have had power outages in the snow/ice and wind. Twice in the last two weeks. In the past I have used my battery powered air pump and wrapped the tanks in bubble wrap and bath towels. They weathered the 4 day outage well last year. The temp in the house was 38 degrees.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Last year our power went out for 9 days due to an ice storm, had a generator for my tanks but after the first day was unable to get gas for the generator as most everything in town was closed down or out of gas. I ended up loosing over $5000.00 in fish alone. Now we have a whole house generator that is hooked up to our natural gas and don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Use a UPS Belkin is cheaper than APC and you get more for your money. Then a generator when the batteries get weak. I am starting a fresh tank and what I am planning on doing... I have an RV, I took the household voltage battery charger out, along with the batteries, then I have an inverter to conver the 12volts back to household if the light goes out. Then the generator with the batteries goes dead. You can put as many batteries as you have money and space if you put the in series.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here in AR we went thru a huge ice storm i lost power and water for over a week.this is before i stocked my 40 gallon so all i had to worry about was my daughters ten gallon.i went to memphis and bought several cases of spring water,to drink and for the fish.I had no power whatsoever on the tank so i just did 2 gallon changes everyday and used a cup every so often to turn as much water as i could.everything made it thru ok..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts