Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not sure I understand your first question about water level. If you mean tank size, you could start a colony in a tank as small as 2.5 gallons. I have shrimp in two of these Spec V's (5 gallons), in two 20 gallon long tanks, and in a 40 gallon breeder. All of these tanks also have fish and fortunately I have had no issues.

As for flow, the Spec V does have some flow but I direct it across the top of the tank and it doesn't seem to present any problems for the shrimp. They will sometimes swim right into the flow and get blown across the tank. I also have some micro rasboras in this tank.

A lot of people will use just a sponge filter in a shrimp only tank and that would be fine too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks for the information.
Because of the depth of water: I can make customize the basin, according to my dimensions
Better high and narrow, or low and wide. Where the shrimp live in the home.
Greetings.

·
Super Moderator
8,288 Posts
They love to climb though so if you do go tall, then get lots of wood for them. They also love 3D backgrounds to climb about.

Reactions: Arthur7

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Hmm I should take that into account to. I would just say to find a tank that has a nice bottom area but also a ok amount of climbing room. 20 gallon longs are good for shrimps.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shrimp in my 10 hang at all levels. When a plant floats they hang on it. The hang out on the filter and everywhere. Climbing up the glass on all sides is normal. They mainly just love lots of plants and moss and driftwood. My colony is always growing despite the two hungry peacock gudgeons they share their tank with.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The shrimp in my 10 hang at all levels. When a plant floats they hang on it. The hang out on the filter and everywhere. Climbing up the glass on all sides is normal. They mainly just love lots of plants and moss and driftwood. My colony is always growing despite the two hungry peacock gudgeons they share their tank with.
I agree with this. They will climb all over the place if they have the plants and wood for that. In the Spec V the outflow nozzle is at the top of the tank, and I usually have 5-6 shrimp all over that. And yes, I've even seen them hanging on a leaf floating throughout the tank.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Old photos but I'll play:

Emphasis on plants in a 20 long, but I can see four shrimp off hand in this photo:

A friend's shrimp tank I helped set up before the cherries and moss took over:

Here's what happens when moss does take over. This tank was set up in 2012, this photo was taken in 2013 maybe 6 months after a rescape, and was taken down in the last couple days.

Here are two more of mine. Orange neos:

Cherries:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Very nice aquarium. The Crypto pool with Vallis and forwards the little Lotus is wonderful.
The picture with the group Red Cherry is very well done. The shrimp are indeed very small. It's a challenge. It must be doing something with macro lens.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I agree with this. They will climb all over the place if they have the plants and wood for that. In the Spec V the outflow nozzle is at the top of the tank, and I usually have 5-6 shrimp all over that. And yes, I've even seen them hanging on a leaf floating throughout the tank.
But out of the water, they can not climb?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.