Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is really bizarre. I started the cycling process about 2 weeks ago, using the fishless (pure ammonia) cycling method. Two days ago, my ammonia level dropped from 4 ppm to about 2 ppm. At that point, I should have checked my nitrite levels too...sigh.. I added more ammonia to get the level back to 4 ppm. As of today, the ammonia level is 4 ppm, nitrite level is 0 ppm, and nitrate level is also 0 ppm.
Is that even possible?? If the ammonia level dropped two days ago, that means nitrite should be present in the water...*H2

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Basically its normal. You will keep adding ammonia to keep it at 5.0 then it will eventually start dropping and showing nitrites. You will still add ammonia during this time and once the ammonia and nitrites both read 0 and you get readings for nitrates. add ammonia one more time and if ammonia and nitrites show 0 after 24 hours the tank is cycled. Then do a 50% water change and your ready to start stocking slowly.

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the initial drop in ammonia levels, should the next few drops happen more rapidly? It took two weeks to get from 4 ppm to 2 ppm. After I added more ammonia to get it back up to 4 ppm, it has never dropped back down. It's been 4 days since I added more ammonia.

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
once the ammonia and nitrites both read 0 and you get readings for nitrates. add ammonia one more time
How much ammonia should I add? Is 4 ppm too much? My nitrites are increasing rapidly right now while ammonia is also dropping quite fast. I'm hoping the cycling process is almost done! Just gotta wait for the nitrobacter colonies to maximize their growth! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts