Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any members here who also have, or are interested in, backyard ponds? In addition to being interested in reefs and FO,and tropical gardens (go nanas!), I just finished having a small pond put in my backyard. It has 3 fish residents, 2 Sarassa comets and a Shubunkin. Let me know if I'm alone here in this.:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have a pond but i think the nice garden ones with the waterfalls would be very nice to have.

Reactions: saltydad

·
Registered
324 Posts
my brother in law keeps a planted pond outdoors that produces garamies, and my club sponsors a large pond that houses many cichlids including Oscars, red devils, and many African cichlid species.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a half barrel with some lillypads... !
Always wanted a pond but never did it. If I do one I will do it massive!
Now this lady has some pond. Bonnie's Plants online. Couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Reactions: MediaHound

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an update on the new pond. The tropical water lily Foxfire is blooming, as is the Thalia delbata (water canna), and the water hyacinth. Another tropical lily, Avalanche, has yet to bloom and my hardy lily, Black Princess is still to show it's flower. The fish are doing fine, and the surrounding plantings are about done, with 10 varieties of elephant ear, 3 types of bananas, 2 Chinese Windmill palms.

·
Registered
324 Posts
hows the pond's pump doing at flamingo Gardens since you are talking about it :)

the flamingo pond is still dark and cloudy, but the water is biologically clean and the fish are doing well... we just need to do a thorough cleaning and head count of the fish inside.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very cool. I would do one I'm just not into the mosquitoes out here. they tend to reproduce where they can.

Rremember that if the water is flowing well and not stagnant, the little critters are loath to lay their eggs.My waterfall and surface skimmer and a 2000 gph pump take care of that. Also, my fish are very effective mosquito larvae predators. I've actually watched dragonflies lay eggs in the water surface, but the fish love their nymphs. I worry more about the unseen water catchers that I haven't put Dunks in.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some pics of the pond fish.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am jealous. I will have a pond next spring. I am just worried about the winters up here in Western, NY. I'll need to go deep and add some kind of de-icer.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am jealous. I will have a pond next spring. I am just worried about the winters up here in Western, NY. I'll need to go deep and add some kind of de-icer.
All you need to do is use a de-icer to keep a hole open in the ice for gas exchange. Thermo-Pond makes a nice one that's inexpensive to buy and to run. A depth of 2 1/2 ft. to 3 ft. is sufficient. Go for it!

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Kogo...any pix of the Flamingo Gardens pond you aere talking about? Inquiring minds want to see. ;);)

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, it's cold outside! I noticed that the pond has begun to ice, so I set up the de-icer. I had to wade into the pond; the water temp was 40F. My voice is still 2 octaves too high. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts