Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm not sure where to put this thread, but decided this would be the best board for it.

My mum has recently done some routine maintenance on her pond (taking out some of the plants etc) and I decided to place some of it in my spare 126 litre/27.5 UK gal tank. Of course, on these plants were a whole load of life, from tadpoles to water louse.

So far, the species I have identified are;
Common pond snail (Radix labiata)
Water Louse (Asellus aquaticus)
Dragonfly larvae
Mosquito larvae
tadpoles

My plan is to let it become its own little ecosystem. The tadpoles will eat the pellets that my pleco eats, and the dragonfly larvae will prey on the water louse and tadpoles etc, the water louse feed on dead plant matter, so will probably take the algae pellets as well, and of course the snails will also eat the pellets. But, I was wondering, is there anything else that I should do/provide, or is it best to let them get on with it as they would in the wild? I am thinking of giving them some blood worms later this evening.

I have always been interested in pond life, and would like to view everything in as natural a habitat as possible. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
sounds like a plan til the mosquito larvae etc, start to turn into things with wings and fly away, and the tadpoles become frogs, but still a very interesting project, that should be a lot of fun :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts