Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, are they normally very active?
Swims like a fish back and forth 2" below water surface, we had in our aquarium shrimp before, and they behaved completely different.

Aram

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Yea they are quite active i use to feed them to my cichlids but it got too expensive, since they would eat 5 dozen every other day

·
Registered
192 Posts
they are pretty cool to have in most tanks. You will learn quickly which fish like to eat them. lol. I like them because they did everywhere and eat anything, but just about all the fish i keep will eat them, so i use crawfish now to help tidy up, they are great. I havent found a fish i cant keep them with yet. Thats aggressive fish of course, crawfish will eat small fish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for reply ALL!
Yea, I had 3 and now only 2 left :)
Who will think, fancy guppy (female) ate the 1.5" shrimp lol
I also have 3 Paper Cory, maybe they got him, who knows
But other two are fine.

I think it is very expencive to use them as food for fish.
It will make more seance if you start breeding them in 2-3 Gal tank with some java moss. I start reading about them, and it's not that hard to bread them.

Thanks
Aram

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
The breeding idea sounds like a winner if you ask me. How much did you pay for them. I get them for 2.99 a dozen at my local pet shop

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I payed $6 for 3 :( Normally I research things before I buy, but this time I have no idea what happen ... Awesome (none chain) pet store here in NYC but you never know. O well, will do home work next time ...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I payed $6 for 3 :( Normally I research things before I buy, but this time I have no idea what happen ... Awesome (none chain) pet store here in NYC but you never know. O well, will do home work next time ...
That's because I think what you got were Amano shrimps not ghost shrimps. Amano tend to have a slight bluish color to them with reddish spots (which I see in your first picture) and a stripe down their back. They are true algae eaters not just debris scavangers. They also tend to get a bit bigger than the common ghost shrimps. My link should have a picture of some Amano shrimp.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Dmaaaaax,

Maybe, I do see the dots.
I think this shrimps need more room, 7 Gal tank with "aggressive" fancy guppy females and 3 fat catfish, they get chased all the time. I think that's hot first one died

BTW, Very nice tank!
I have some questions about it, but I will ask them @ original thread :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts