Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

What in the water responsible for smell? Can I measure it?
I have no dead fish or snail in the tank. Plants are OK too.
Water is clean, filter media changed 2 weeks ago.

Changes did happen. I replaced the light source, and added driftwood with some moss attached to it.
Light changed from regular 15W to 10W Marineland Compact Fluorescent Bulb 1500K.
(reason - maybe plants will start growing)
Driftwood (from LPS) was in the bucket w/water from tank for 2 weeks, I did change the water once
Java Moss was in the separate bucket in water from the same tank

Aquarium is 7 Gallon
Whisper Power Filter 10
pH – 6 to 6.5 (always this low. Our tap water is 6, I try to increase that number by using pH UP, but it goes down in 2 - 3 days)
NH3 / NH4 – 0

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Aram.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
u forgot NO2. if the tank didn't cycle, that might be the problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Petlover516, I think you are correct.
5 fish is dead and rest of them on the surface, trying to get air.
Do you think by adding driftwood, I "started" a mini cycle?
And if yes, I understand there is no cure for that, need to wait

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
The driftwood probably didn't cause the mini cycle, but the fish dying could if they are removed promptly. I would do some major water changes over the next few days to help it out.

Also its best not to use chemicals to alter the ph as it will cause ph swings which is harmful to the fish. They will adapt to your water and if you want to raise it some its best to use some crushed coral in your filter.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
at 7 months its definately completed the cycle, but have u changed<or cleaned> the filter anytime recently? and if the fish are gasping for air, it is most likely an NO2 problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fancy guppy and 3 corydoras paleatus. Cory's are ready to breed, and they are separated 2 days before (I hope they are not going to catch this crap). only guppy left, now only half of them...
When I do WC I add API water conditioner (by instructions from a bottle)
No fungus on the driftwood.
What kind driftwood hmm ..., I got it from LPS dark red/brown was completely dry. As I mentioned in my previews post I kept it in the bucket for almost 2 week, that it does not turn my tank to the tea cup :)
No, does not smell that bad ... But it's different

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
stress coat is not that good of WC use prime. are u sure the driftwood was for aquariums not terrariums?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you use any airstones? Is there much surface water movement? Is the tank fully covered? Fish at surface could be a low O2 issue, if there's little surface water movement and restricted air motion across the surface, you can get low pH because CO2 will bring pH down. If the tank is full, the whisper will not cause much surface water motion. If you add an airstone, that can help break up the surface water and add some O2. Usually, tap water with low pH is because it is O2 deprived from being in pipes, try letting some sit in a quart container for 48 hours then test pH so you know what you're dealing with. Also test tap for ammonia and nitrate, it helps to get a handle on your water quality.

Have you tested your KH (carbonate hardness)? If this is low out of the tap or in your tank (it will decline over time in the tank) then you may need to add something to buffer your KH up. KH is also a measure of how well your water hold on to it's pH level, the lower it is, the lower your pH will stabilize out at. This is much more valuable information to have than just your pH level.

I agree with others, do not use pH up/down, it's not a good solution.

Also I agree - use Prime, it's all you need (and you need VERY little)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Great response by Budcarlson. Cold water also carries more O2 than warm water. Prime is a beast. It get rid of chlorine and chloramine, and neutralizes ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It also treats heavy metals and adds slime coat to your fish. API conditioner removes the chlorine from chloromine but does not get rid of the ammonia, so you actually get a spike from doing water changes.

If you must increase your pH....which I do since I pump in CO2, I use a combo of acid buffer and alkaline buffer from Seachem. The latter contains sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and other bicarbonates which also increases your kH (carbonate hardness). By using a small combo to get to a target pH and increasing the kH, you "buffer" your water. This keeps the pH from going up or down.

However what still gets me is that you notice a smell...can you elaborate on this more? What does it smell like?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What does it smell like?
Do the surface bubbles pop after 15 seconds or before?
Does the surface look oiley or gross?
Do you add water streight from the faucet or let it sit in a bucket 3 days with an air stone, after adding a dose of Amquil plus.

If your gravel is black underneith it is making a gas that smells like rotten eggs.

The following link is good information about water.
Aquarium Water Quality.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you use any airstones? Is there much surface water movement? Is the tank fully covered? Fish at surface could be a low O2 issue, if there's little surface water movement and restricted air motion across the surface, you can get low pH because CO2 will bring pH down. If the tank is full, the whisper will not cause much surface water motion. If you add an airstone, that can help break up the surface water and add some O2. Usually, tap water with low pH is because it is O2 deprived from being in pipes, try letting some sit in a quart container for 48 hours then test pH so you know what you're dealing with. Also test tap for ammonia and nitrate, it helps to get a handle on your water quality.

Have you tested your KH (carbonate hardness)? If this is low out of the tap or in your tank (it will decline over time in the tank) then you may need to add something to buffer your KH up. KH is also a measure of how well your water hold on to it's pH level, the lower it is, the lower your pH will stabilize out at. This is much more valuable information to have than just your pH level.

I agree with others, do not use pH up/down, it's not a good solution.

Also I agree - use Prime, it's all you need (and you need VERY little)
Yes I do use airstone, surface water does moves (it get's moved by filter "exhaust" water). But I don't have that mini waterfall effect, edge of the "whisper" right on the tank level.
Unfortunately I don't have chemicals to test the KH ...
I think it's too late, there is no alive fish left, I was doing 30-40% WC, almost every day and I think the smell is gone (almost), but I think it's erelevant since there is no more fish.
I will take a note, all this recommendations, and they will become handy when I setup a new big tank!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ammonia tends to make the water smell nasty.

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What does it smell like?
Do the surface bubbles pop after 15 seconds or before?
Does the surface look oiley or gross?
Do you add water streight from the faucet or let it sit in a bucket 3 days with an air stone, after adding a dose of Amquil plus.

If your gravel is black underneith it is making a gas that smells like rotten eggs.

The following link is good information about water.
Aquarium Water Quality.
Thanks for the link!
Bubbles from airstone do get accumulate a little and then pop, more then 15 sec. Surface does not have anything.
Normally when I do a WC I take tap water in 5Gal bucket add less then 1mL API (now I know that I need to use PRIME by Seachem). After 3-4 hours do a WC.

I can't explain the small, it's not a rotten eggs and not a swamp smell ether

1 - 20 of 26 Posts