Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you plant plants in an aquarium and do you need to put co2 for them to live and stuff...can someone tell me all about that stuff plzzz

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which ones are the easiest to take care of???

·
Registered
216 Posts
Java Ferns, Java Moss, Anubias, Hornwort and some cryptocoyne's are generally considered very hardy. Heck, I have some that are growing, so they can't be too hard.

All plants need at least 8-10 hrs of light per day (preferably 6500-6700K), and nutrients (can be provided by fish waste in a true low tech setup).

You might want to check out this link for some beginner information, it's how I started. Setting up your first planted tank

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thnk u all for everything and all the feedback u hav given me

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
To start a new FW I use anacharis and vals plus a mix of small potted types and large amazon sword. the idea is to get a mix of fast growing plants to initially condition the tank and slower growers to maintain the tank longer term. On a 10g tank I use 4-8 bunches of anacharis, 4 vals, 4 potted and a single amazon sword.

For a substrate I have found the following works well especially for neon tetras.

1" peat moss
1" play sand
1" pro choice select or aquarium gravel.

I put in each layer then add water. Clean the tank then add the next layer.

After the last layer I "plant" plants.

then with a dish to spread the water around fill the tank with water.

I have found that creates an almost clear tank right from the start. Which it almost totally clear the next day.

I also use no filters and no mechanical circulation of any kind.

But that just me and my ideas

Worth at most .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts