Aquarium Forum banner

planning a canal expedition

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  MediaHound 
#1 ·
The meeting topic for May is dip netting so in order to ensure an interesting presentation, i would like to get some nice pictures of what we catch and how we catch it.

I'm thinking the first Saturday (around 11:00am) of May would be a good time to go and to take some pictures.

now, the question at hand of course is who wants to go, and where are we going. I'm thinking staying in Broward and hitting some spots in the area of Flamingo gardens and the Griffin canal.

Now... who wants to go? Rodolfo....Jay.... Jarred? any other lurkers out there?

#3 ·
clothes you don't mind getting dirty, a bucket with an aerator (if you want to keep stuff), a fishing license, a long handled small hole landing net, and possibly a fishing pole if you like the bigger stuff. some have used casting nets and sine nets, but we usually just use the landing nets.

#7 ·
If your fourteen you need adult supervision.

That means a responsible parent or guardian who will be with you (next to you) at all times.

as for license requirements you'll be OK until 17 if I'm not mistaken

#8 ·
lets meet (May 3rd) in the parking lot of flamingo gardens botanical park at 11am. I drive a grey chevy lumina (car) with an aquaculture license plate. i may be inside the park for a bit, but if my car is there ill be right out.

please confirm if you plan to come.

#15 ·
Great pictures!
The first looks like a jewel cichlid with a pointy face, what is that?
In the second photo, there's a pregnant minnow in the lower left. Four sailfin mollies, another minnow at the top, and I always wondered what those two with the stripes are called. Any idea?
Fourth pic of the big pleco is awesome. Those are hard to catch, they takeoff the second they spot you on the bank. Sometimes if your lucky, they go into the grass if the water level is high enough (instead of into the deep), and you can find them wound up into the grass rhizomes and roots. Looks like that might be what Rodolfo was doing in the third pic.
Fifth pic is a big sailfin molly.
Seventh pic looks to be a Mayan Cichlid, nice find if it is.
By the way, you should upload the pics here to our photo gallery, oftentimes I see people post pics from photobucket and then remove them only to have the pics on the thread disappear :p

#16 ·
pic one --- salvani
two ---- mosquito fish, sailfin molly females, and blue fin killis
three -- Kogo coaxing a pleco out of a 48" burrow
four --- what was in that burrow (sailfin pleco... #4 of the day)
five --- mail sailfin molly
six --- Kogo showin how its done!
seven -- one of many myan cichlids we saw in full breeding coloration
the pic does it no justice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.