Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these make good aquarium fish overall? More or less needs compared to oscars? As I said in another thread, I was thinking of getting oscars, but I've done some looking and it seems piranhas need less space per fish. If so, I could add more than 2 like with the oscars. Anyone ever had a group of these? Do they thrive on fish food of some kind? If they need live food all the time that's a deal breaker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
piranhas are very closely related to pacu. you probably already know this but my friend had 3 pacu in his 55g which had close to 6 full grown bumblebees and 5 more full grown red zebras...the pacu were no bigger than 3" and they attacked them all the time. and were always hungry. so i'm guessing they would be somewhat of an upkeep compared to the pacu seeing as how they are related. but no they do not always need live fish. dried brine shrimp and frozen foods work well with them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
piranhas are very closely related to pacu. you probably already know this but my friend had 3 pacu in his 55g which had close to 6 full grown bumblebees and 5 more full grown red zebras...the pacu were no bigger than 3" and they attacked them all the time. and were always hungry. so i'm guessing they would be somewhat of an upkeep compared to the pacu seeing as how they are related. but no they do not always need live fish. dried brine shrimp and frozen foods work well with them.
Yes, I have seen the pacu very closely in the past. As far as I can tell, their behavior is virtually the same as piranhas. The major difference seems to be that the pacu's teeth aren't as sharp and are more meant for grabbing.

True, I don't think I'd go with 12 though. I would probably go with about half that. As far as other fish, what about plecos for slight cleaning? I heard that almost none of the typical aquarium fish can manage to eat these and don't even bother trying. It would have to be large not a small, young one, of course.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, scratch that. I wasn't aware they were illegal to even keep in this state. That is asinine since I live in the desert and the nearest river is polluted beyond nature. Oh well. If only pacus were more colorful. Can anyone think of another large hardy tetra with bright colors? Tetras seem to do well in smaller space per fish being schoolers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, invasive species is the reason they're illegal, but the motive is alarmist. As often happens, the law takes on easy targets hamfisted but neglects real problems. I would understand if they enforced releasing these species into the wild, as they do and should for other creatures. What makes this fish so scary? I've looked and looked and every single horror story of their release in the US has been a hoax or greatly exaggerated. It's not a monster or scary, it's just another tetra. I've seen them first hand in other people's tanks. They are afraid of your hand in the water just like any other fish.

But I digress. Yes, I'm sure I could break the law and buy one anyways, but I'm not going to pay $100 for a small baby fish which is artificially rare due to stupid laws. I'd sooner go to the foreign country south of the border and get 10 for that much. It's not far from here; problem of course would be getting caught bringing them back. I think I'll probably keep looking, but I don't think any other colorful tetra which is both large and readily available exists.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts