Aquarium Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Sweet! How's the clown goby doing?
He is doing great but is a very mysterious fish. It is not uncommon for me to go a few days and never see him!

Edit:
I saw him today! haha I found this hilarious since when I asked my girlfriend if she had seen him see laughed and then pointed him out within 15 secs, I on the other hand had been looking for the past ten minutes

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Tank update:
Everything and everyone seems to be extremely happy in the tank. I did some minor redecorating today, to move a couple corals to new locations. I am also trying my vortech on the other side of the tank. My new anomene Nemmers(thats his name) has decided that he wants to live on my front glass, and I am trying to get him to change his mind. I am also now in the planning stages of a refugium. Pictures to follow.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A few fun shots

Updated FTS

And may I introduce Nemmers

This is the side that we get to see all the time. I have changed up flow in the tank today hoping I can persuade him into turning around

The mysterious clown goby has been caught on film!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Phil, good to hear about teh clown goby. I recently got a hi fin red banded goby and a tiger pistol shrimp. They weren't paired at the lfs but were bagged together for the trip home. They bonded almost instantly. My rpoblem now is they took up refuge on the back side of my rock work, lol. You can get glimpses of them if you look long enough but I sure wish they'd move to the front side. And that shrimp has MOVED some sand around, lol. Fun to watch, but would be more fun if you didn't have to look through cracks in the rock.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Good news Sully! He moved!
He's been chilling under nemmers all day

Very nice aquascape you've got going there! Is Nemmers a Long Tentacle Anemone? (It's easy to get fooled by older bubbles and light-hungry heteractis) If so...

You may or may not already be aware that Nemmers will eventually (soon hopefully), attempt to bury his foot. When he does, he will require several inches of substrate, preferably on the softer side...and he won't be satisfied until he can anchor his foot below the sand bed onto a flat surface...the wall if he's at an angle or the floor if he's flat. If a deep sand bed isn't an option, you could assist him to place his foot in a PVC end-cap...or build your aquascape in such a way that allows for a deeper section of sand bed. Nemmers will do fine on the glass for a while, but his species is sand-dwelling and that's where he'll thrive. That's not to say Nemmers won't be a total rebel who will prefer the glass, but that would be rare and cause for at least a little concern.

You'll have so much fun with Nemmers. I have several anemones and they are by far my favorite invert. Do you hope to get clownfish at some point?

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Very nice aquascape you've got going there! Is Nemmers a Long Tentacle Anemone? (It's easy to get fooled by older bubbles and light-hungry heteractis) If so...

You may or may not already be aware that Nemmers will eventually (soon hopefully), attempt to bury his foot. When he does, he will require several inches of substrate, preferably on the softer side...and he won't be satisfied until he can anchor his foot below the sand bed onto a flat surface...the wall if he's at an angle or the floor if he's flat. If a deep sand bed isn't an option, you could assist him to place his foot in a PVC end-cap...or build your aquascape in such a way that allows for a deeper section of sand bed. Nemmers will do fine on the glass for a while, but his species is sand-dwelling and that's where he'll thrive. That's not to say Nemmers won't be a total rebel who will prefer the glass, but that would be rare and cause for at least a little concern.

You'll have so much fun with Nemmers. I have several anemones and they are by far my favorite invert. Do you hope to get clownfish at some point?
I believe he is a grenn long tentacle anemone, but I am not totally sure. However I am sure that Nemmers is a total rebel! I've been wanting to add more sand to the DT, I wasn't sure how much if any sand to add when I started the tank. I am trying to get a good spot ready for Nemmers, and then try to convince him to stay there but we'll see how well that works out.

How much should I be feeding him? I ask because I don't want to overfeed him.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I believe he is a grenn long tentacle anemone, but I am not totally sure. However I am sure that Nemmers is a total rebel! I've been wanting to add more sand to the DT, I wasn't sure how much if any sand to add when I started the tank. I am trying to get a good spot ready for Nemmers, and then try to convince him to stay there but we'll see how well that works out.

How much should I be feeding him? I ask because I don't want to overfeed him.
Nemmers looks to be a Long Tentacle Anemone. My very first nem was also a LTA. Mine met it's demise inside the intake of an over-the-back filter I was using at the time. :eek:( Hard lesson.

My display reef has a deep sand bed of live sand and I love it. You might want to read about the benefits of a deep sand bed, the main one (for me) is the reduction of nitrate levels. There are both pros and cons however I'd never have anything but a deep bed. While fish can tolerate higher nitrate levels, inverts including anemones can't. A Long Tentacle Anemone will be happiest in at least 4 inches of soft substrate. Nemmer's main source of nutrition will be light. Are you using reef lights? The light holds the key to Nemmers survival...I can't stress that enough. I use LED reef light panels. Nemmers will require some type of high output full spectrum lighting such as metal halide, VHO, or reef LEDS. I supplement my anemones 2-3 times per week with slightly smaller than mouth sized pieces of silversides and krill. I've even used shrimp from the grocery store. I spear the meat on the end of a coat hanger and the anemone grabs it. Some of mine eat a bit of pellet and DT's from the water column too. If Nemmer fails...don't get discouraged. It takes a nem or two to get the feel of caring for them. Watch his behavior closely...that's how I learned. They are truly fascinating creatures. I'm totally addicted to them...most favorite pet ever! :eek:)

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nemmers looks to be a Long Tentacle Anemone. My very first nem was also a LTA. Mine met it's demise inside the intake of an over-the-back filter I was using at the time. :eek:( Hard lesson.

My display reef has a deep sand bed of live sand and I love it. You might want to read about the benefits of a deep sand bed, the main one (for me) is the reduction of nitrate levels. There are both pros and cons however I'd never have anything but a deep bed. While fish can tolerate higher nitrate levels, inverts including anemones can't. A Long Tentacle Anemone will be happiest in at least 4 inches of soft substrate. Nemmer's main source of nutrition will be light. Are you using reef lights? The light holds the key to Nemmers survival...I can't stress that enough. I use LED reef light panels. Nemmers will require some type of high output full spectrum lighting such as metal halide, VHO, or reef LEDS. I supplement my anemones 2-3 times per week with slightly smaller than mouth sized pieces of silversides and krill. I've even used shrimp from the grocery store. I spear the meat on the end of a coat hanger and the anemone grabs it. Some of mine eat a bit of pellet and DT's from the water column too. If Nemmer fails...don't get discouraged. It takes a nem or two to get the feel of caring for them. Watch his behavior closely...that's how I learned. They are truly fascinating creatures. I'm totally addicted to them...most favorite pet ever! :eek:)
Nemmers is my round two, so to speak. My first anemone met its demise while going THROUGH an AquaClear 500gph powerhead. That was a very sad morning, followed by a long day of water changes to get rid of the milk looking saltwater :(

My lighting is a two bulb T5HO 24" fixture. I one actinic bulb and one daylight bulb around 14k (can't remember the temp)I am planning to add another of the same fixture so I can do an advanced lighting schedule with an actinic period.

I've been feeding him a mixture of mysis and brine shrimp and he seems to be loving them.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Nemmers is my round two, so to speak. My first anemone met its demise while going THROUGH an AquaClear 500gph powerhead. That was a very sad morning, followed by a long day of water changes to get rid of the milk looking saltwater :(

My lighting is a two bulb T5HO 24" fixture. I one actinic bulb and one daylight bulb around 14k (can't remember the temp)I am planning to add another of the same fixture so I can do an advanced lighting schedule with an actinic period.

I've been feeding him a mixture of mysis and brine shrimp and he seems to be loving them.
A lot of nem keepers are going to tell you that your lighting isn't enough. But I kept a couple nems successfully under HO bulbs for a several months and neither bleached and both grew significantly...although neither were LTA's and I fed them food high in nutrition such as silversides. While Nemmers enjoys mysis and brine (like I enjoy potato chips), neither is rich in nutrients. That being said, if your tank is less than 20" deep and your fixture is just above the water...you may get by with rich meat supplements. The fact that Nemmers is climbing the glass might be a sign that he's hungry for light...it's hard to say without watching his daily routine. How often does he expel waste? Oh...oh...and keep in mind that LTA like their bites of food to be very small...almost super tiny. I forgot to mention that before.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A lot of nem keepers are going to tell you that your lighting isn't enough. But I kept a couple nems successfully under HO bulbs for a several months and neither bleached and both grew significantly...although neither were LTA's and I fed them food high in nutrition such as silversides. While Nemmers enjoys mysis and brine (like I enjoy potato chips), neither is rich in nutrients. That being said, if your tank is less than 20" deep and your fixture is just above the water...you may get by with rich meat supplements. The fact that Nemmers is climbing the glass might be a sign that he's hungry for light...it's hard to say without watching his daily routine. How often does he expel waste? Oh...oh...and keep in mind that LTA like their bites of food to be very small...almost super tiny. I forgot to mention that before.
He seems to be loving the lights, he spreads out so big during the day, and his color has improved noticeably since I brought him home. Aside from when I came home yesterday, the tank looks better everyday. My temp dropped to around 73F yesterday. In case anyone was wondering you cant keep a 50gal system 75F, in a room that is 59F, with only a 75w heater...lol... I added my spare heater problem solved. I will grab him some silverside and see how he likes them. Thought I might mention that my tank is only 18" tall and the lights are about 1" above the tank, about 3" from bulb to water, and that he has stopped climbing the glass and has been moving down very slowly towards the sand bed, and now has about 50% of the base of his foot in sand

·
Registered
687 Posts
He seems to be loving the lights, he spreads out so big during the day, and his color has improved noticeably since I brought him home. Aside from when I came home yesterday, the tank looks better everyday. My temp dropped to around 73F yesterday. In case anyone was wondering you cant keep a 50gal system 75F, in a room that is 59F, with only a 75w heater...lol... I added my spare heater problem solved. I will grab him some silverside and see how he likes them. Thought I might mention that my tank is only 18" tall and the lights are about 1" above the tank, about 3" from bulb to water, and that he has stopped climbing the glass and has been moving down very slowly towards the sand bed, and now has about 50% of the base of his foot in sand
That's so so awesome. And since he can't go as deeply as he'd like, you could pile some substrate up around the exposed parts of his foot to help him get settled in. As far as him spreading out really big...watch that closely. As pretty as it is, more often than not when they do that it means they're super hungry for light. Not always...but a lot of the time. They'll all do it when the lights first come on in the morning, but at some point you want your nems to just relax and sway. The fact that he's burying his foot is a huge step in the right direction. Congrats! I wish you and Nemmers well. :eek:)

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
3/13/13 Tank update
I made a few more changes to the aquascape last night to make more room for corals. I am pretty happy with how things turned out. Nemmers also decided to move last night.

Zoas

I was finally able to get a really good shot of my LTA Nemmers with his late night move across the tank.

A little fun with angles

FTS:

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
As an experiment I am changing up my water change schedule. I am going to go for a small approx. 1.5 gal change every other day. I am trying this to remedy the alarming nitrate problem I discovered the other day.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Tank looks good .The rock and corals are awesome.You may want to get nitrAtes lower a little quicker as mr nemmers is not really going to like nitrates.After getting them where you want then you could try your every other day approach.
Thank you, I agree 100%
I forgot to mention, this will be the approach for water changes after I get the nitrates down. I am currently changing water until I get to less than 5ppm Nitrate.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Had a great time at the LFS today!

Green Bleeding apple scoly:

Red green and blue/violet scoly. Trying for a chalice over hang.

I also got a small chalice and some green star polyps

and some new zoas

New FTS: the tank looks so blue due to the phase shift that occurred in one of my bulbs. This will be fixed for good soon with LEDs :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts