Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

First of all, aquarium specs -

Tank: Ciano Aqua60 60L (16 US Gal) - 60cm/30cm/32cm
Filter: Fluval U2 (brand new, without the clean+clear cartridge, just extra USED/pre-cultured ceramic from the local fish shop)
Heater: Fluval E100 @ 25 Celcius
Lighting: Ciano CLA60 LED strip, Ciano CLA60 Plants LED strip
Planted: Yes, various including Java Fern (on bogwood), Cryptocoryne Willissii, Alternanthera Cardinalis, Elodea Densa, Ringed Rotal Indica, and Marimo Moss Ball
Substrate: small and medium gravel
General Hardness: 8d
Carbon Hardness: 6d
pH: 8
Chlorine: 0
Nitrite: <1ppm
Nitrate: 25ppm
Ammonia: 0.3ppm
Test Kit: API Freshwater Master Test Kit, Tetra 6in1 strips, API ammonia strips
Livestock: 1 x Physella snail (stowed-away into my tank on a plant...)
Consumables: Seachem Prime and Stability, Tetra SafeStart and Easy Balance, Fluval Aqua Plus, API Aquarium Salt, API Liquid Carbon, TNC Complete Fertiliser
---

In the start, I dosed 2ppm of Dr Tim's Ammonia, to provide an Ammonia Source. My initial cycle lasted 2 weeks before I had to do a 75% water change due to mysteriously high levels of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. This was despite using Fluval Aqua Plus, Fluval Cycle, Tetra EasyBalance, and Tetra SafeStart.

So I bought Seachem Prime, and Seachem Stability, then did the 75% water change (made sure to add the Prime to the new water before adding the new water), left a few hours, added the first cap of Stability - and followed instructions for 7 days. (I did not add any additional ammonia, as the remaining 25% water from the change would have had some.

At the time following the water change, the ammonia level was 0.05ppm, so much lower than the 4ppm I was originally seeing. It's been 7 days (based on what the Stability bottle advises), and the ammonia is @ 0.3ppm. pH has changed from 7.4 to 8, Nitrite has stayed very low, and Nitrate has kept increasing.

I'm unsure what could be causing the ammonia to continue to rise, as I have plenty of plants to aid with the ammonia consumption, and am using pre-used ceramics in the filter, and dosed the right amounts of beneficial bacteria.

Today, I have dosed some more Prime, as this is claimed to eliminate ammonia, plus dosed another capful of Stability, and a capful of SafeStart.

---

What I'm looking for, is advice on what could be causing the ammonia to continue to increase (I can't imagine a single tiny snail would cause this), and if there's anything I can do to drop the pH back down to 7.4 and maintain that level?

Thanks so much for reading. Hopefully, there's an answer to this! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
plants do not remove ammonia. thye will help with nitrates ( not ntrites). You have something dead. I just went through this with a new 20 gal I set up to cultivate plants for my 90 gal tank. Looked like it wa going ok, some ammonia and the some nitrite and then nitrates. then BAM, tons of ammonia , nitrites and nitrates. Plants turned black and die. the whole tank crashed. Turns out, the organic phosphate levels in my tap water were off the charts. Algae went crazy, plants cover with black diatoms that killed them. The diatoms were killing the plants and that created the ammonia that killed everything else. Pull your plants and look for dead. Check the phosphates !!! don't get rid of all of them, I think below .05 ppm is ok. I don't mind some algae, I have otto cats, shrimp and smails to take care of that. Whole tank is now cycling correctly and everything is doing great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Insight, I appreciate your reply. I did just that but a while before I had any response to this. All nitrogen compounds are untraceable, I have a healthy community of rasbora, otos, and red cherry shrimp.

All my plants are booming!

Very happy with how it's turned out.

Seachem Prime and Stability have been a godsend too.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top