Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*o2
*n1 This is how I feel about the pH on my tank.

For whatever reason, that I am still trying to figure out, my 29 gallon tank is giving me fits.
Long story, shortened.
Big, nasty algae bloom came and made my tank a lovely shade of green.
Three weeks of blinding the tank, (probably too many) water exchanges, and general wringing of hands finally got rid of it.
Then, my water was cloudy for about a week and a half. My theory is that the tank needed to have a short cycle because I changed the water out too much in algae bloom desperation.
Ever since then, I have been unable to keep my pH at an acceptable level. It's always high. I am using a pH corrector, which lowers it for a few days, then it creeps back up, again. 4 days ago, it was 7.4
Today, its 8
EIGHT!
*H2

tank has 12 assorted tetra's (neon, black redfin, rummy)
2 mollies
2 corys
1 mickey mouse platy
3 dwarf platy
1 rose line "shark" (barb cough, barb!)
3 Harlequin
1 oto

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
First be very careful with PH adjusters they can kill fish, due to any sudden change in PH. 2nd something obviously is driving your ph levels back up. Some sort of buffering agent maybe or your source water, or your substrate, or what kind of rocks or ornaments you have in there. We need all that info to make any kind of judgment. Also what are you using for a ph adjuster? because of the serious algae problem you had, id say you have way too many nutrients in your tank, ie lots of decaying organic material etc. Also you might consider getting a phosphate tester. Some municipal water supplies are now loaded with phosphates. They tell me they are added at the treatment facility to coat the insides of old rusty pipes to save them on costly repairs, but will play heck with your aquarium water you are trying to keep inline. They may also be adding somthing thats driving up your PH. What does your source water test??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We live in rural NoCal, and have well water. My source water all tests clean, and my phosphate has always been fine, as well as all of the other tests. We have a guy out every three months testing our source water to the house...
My ornaments are few. plastic plants, some live plants, and a white cave rock, I am blanking on what. I did just put that in, though, after boiling it, first...
The pH adjuster I have is Seacham Neutral Regulator. I've had to use it 3 times, in the last three weeks. I've been testing, and it did pretty well about not bottoming the pH out, right away. The lowest it lowered it was that 7.4
8.0 is the highest measurement I have ever gotten.
I am wondering, too.
One of my Mickey Mouse platy's is gone. Missing. Not anywhere that I can see. Not even the carcass.
If, that fish died for whatever reason, and the fish ate it/are hiding the carcass, would that raise my pH?
But it's JUST my pH that's off. Everything else came back WNL.
have to admit I am kind of flummoxed

I never had a pH problem before the algae bloom.

Oh, I have the "usual" aquarium gravel....

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
what is the composition of that white cave rock ???? take that out drop it in a bowl of vinegar and see what happens, That may be a chunk of limestone, which would account for the ph rise if it is soft and pourus

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went to the lfs where I got the rock, and they suggested I take it out for a few days, and continue to check the pH and see what happens....
I know it isn't limestone, I just can't, at the moment put my finger on it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts