Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water from my tap has a ph of very near 7. After I add "Start Right" it jumps to 7.8 or higher (my test kit only reads up to 7.8).

Is there another chlorine remover and stress reliever that will not raise the ph in my aquarium so high? Or is this even a problem??

I tested the new water before I added it to the aquarium with "Start Right" and the Aquarium water both are at or over 7.8, But like I stated the water from the tap is around 7.

Thanks for the help, you guys (and girls) are GREAT!!

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
PH lowers with higher carbon dioxide.

So it is entirely possible that straight from the tap the water has carbon dioxide then when you pour the water into the tank the co2 outgassed (leaves) the water and the pH raises.

Most de chlorinators actually do the opposite as they also lock up oxygen. So, although it could be the start right, I doubt it.

FWIW all my tanks Fw and marine have a pH of 8.4-8.8 with the api high range test kit. even the FW with peat moss in the substrate. All the tanks are balanced out with plant life (fw plants--marine macro algaes) so the plant life sucks out the carbon dioxide and returns oxygen. So that in a 24 hr period the tank is a net consumer of carbon dioxide and producer of oxygen. And even fish (neon tetras, hatchetfish) that "need" a ph of 7 or less thrive at the high pH.

my .02

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Try prime from Seachem. There should not be that much CO2 in tap to change your pH that much. You can test this by collecting some tap water, then shake it vigorously to remove CO2, then test the pH. If this does not raise it to >7.8, something else is raising it.
I treated my 55g marine with prime during a big screwup where ammonia pegged the api test kit (8ppm+). Dosed according to instructions. pH dropped from 8.4-8.8 (api high range test kit) to 7.6 or lower. Prime like other ammonia locks and dechlorinators lock up oxygen.

IMHO the best way to handle low pH is with plant life consuming the co2.

my .02

Reactions: homerdave

·
Registered
232 Posts
As stated above the gasses in the water can change the pH readings. To get a true reading of the pH of your tap water you need to put some water in a bucket and let an airstone run in it for 24 hours and then test the pH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts