Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aquarium Nut
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from Lucy at the Fish Net, she may have to close her aquarium shop - “The Fish Net”. She is 3 months behind on her rent & her landlord gave her until Wednesday, July 29 to either come up with the money or vacate.

We all know that the economy is taking it’s toll on everyone, but at 80 years old, this is a sad way for a dear friend to end her career. So if you are contemplating getting some fish, or aquarium equipment, now is the time to act.

If you know of anyone who can help her financially, please have them get in touch with her.

The Fish Net
4353 N Andrews Ave
Oakland Park, FL 33309
(954) 563-9401

Sat 10 am – 6 pm
Sun 11 am – 5 pm
Monday 1 – 5 pm ? (Normally closed on Mondays)
Tue – Fri ? 10 am – 7 pm

Please pass this on to everyone you know in the aquarium hobby.
Thanks - Tom

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's really a bummer. I'll email some of my fish friends in FL to see if they can help out or know anyone who can. Sad...

·
Marine Aquarium Expert/Saltwater Section Mgr.
355 Posts
Let me first say this is all bad news to all...Whats going to happen is not a good thing to see. For all the LFS that are close up shop. Just like i had to and 4 of my good LFS had to. This will drive all aquarium dry goods live stock and anything that has to do with hobby over the top. We will have to pay more for it all and this ant no bull. I have got alot of phone calls from the wholesalers to make orders. And if you no them you would no that you never get a call from them to make orders. Crazy thing is all the prices seem to be going up. Not so much for dry goods but livestock is it's nuts.It's even hard for me to do online sales. I told my wife just the other night if this all keeps up I will need to shut down the whole thing even my tank maintenance services.And with all our other bills going up I don't no what to do with it all.I just might have to get out of the hobby to. I have been in this hobby over 12y and makes me sick to think i might have to get out over something that i can't fix.........MAN IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the time i can deal with it all and make it work to keep something i love so much..But we will see whats going to happen.. Sorry for going on so long and THANKS Have a good one

·
Registered
236 Posts
My boyfriend was telling me about this about half an hour ago. I heard it from him before reading it here.. I was really sad to hear it's closing down. I'll try whatever I can but I'm afraid there's just nothing I can do.. unless drawing is involved :\

Siiigh ._.

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
I need some lights how do I get n contact. Just call maybe idk.

·
Aquarium Nut
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Orion,
Here is the contact info, ask for Lucy.
Keep in mind it's in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Aren't you in Tulsa, OK ?

The Fish Net
4353 N Andrews Ave
Oakland Park, FL 33309
(954) 563-9401

Sat 10 am – 6 pm
Sun 11 am – 5 pm
Monday 1 – 5 pm ? (Normally closed on Mondays)
Tue – Fri ? 10 am – 7 pm

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
yes n tulsa i am just looking for equipment to finish setting up my 475 thats been in storage for a year maybe she can ship dk i will talk to her

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I know the very finest source that I had for bettas is no longer in business either due to the crunch and that is just the icing on the cake. They are now selling out their aquarium supplies on eBay and no fish at all. It has been months since they offered a fish and I have not been able to get ahold of them on the phone or any way I have tried so am guessing this is what happened to them also.

The pet sales in this country is going to pieces in a hand basket and I am afraid your friend in not the only one suffering the loss. Soon the large chain stores are going to be about the only place to get aquarium livestock and it will be so expensive, young people will not be able to get into the hobby that has delighted so many of them for generations.

The fish hobby is not a cheap one already with the equipment needed in some cases but now with the cost of livestock going up drastically that could be its downfall with a lot of hobbyists.

Rose

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got back from the Fish Net. This is the first time I met Lucy. She is a very nice person and has some really nice fish and supplies at excellent prices. I highly recommend stopping by.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was with Dach and I agree. Lucy was a sweet lady who put her heart into that store, you can tell right away.. and it's just so sad she's losing it all. It's hard for her, you can see it in her eyes. ):

I really really wish I could do something now more than ever. Please stop by if you can! Even if it's just to meet her you won't regret it. :)

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
We have lost two of our LFS shops this last year. That is why I'm spending money at our remaining two local pet shops. They are always crowded now that there are less options. I don't have much extra to spend, but it all goes there. Everyone is hurting in this economy.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
i work at the only store left in town worth getting fish from there were a few others but the economy took them out pretty fast

1 - 13 of 13 Posts