Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a small, 10 gallon tank in August. I started with 3 glofish tetras and 3 guppies. The local chain store told me they would get along fine. A month or two in, I found one guppy had a damaged tail. I thought it was fin rot so I used a treatment for that. He almost completely grew his tail back and then one day I found him floating with no tail. Everything was quiet again for a while and then I found another guppy floating with no tail. I was checking my water weekly so I was certain nothing was wrong with it. Then, we actually saw one of the tetras attack and kill the last guppy. (we couldn't separate them to save them in time) The remaining 3 tetras were fine. I made a fatal error of attempting to move my 10 gallon tank which caused a leak so I moved them into a 15 gallon tank. At that time, I added 2 new tetras since things had been going so well. The next day, I found one of my original tetras dead, missing his tail. Today, (1 day later) I found another of my original tetras missing his upper lip as well as most of his tail. I searched online to figure out how to stop the aggression. I read that ADDING fish may help since they are schooling fish. I went to Petco and they agreed and sold me 5 more glofish tetras. I added them to the tank today but am honestly terrified of what tomorrow may bring. They are kept in my office. I have only once seen them aggressive during the day. It seems they must attack each other in the evening when I am not here. I separated the injured tetra with a breeding net for the time being to try to save him/her at least through this evening until I can figure out any other options. It doesn't appear it can eat the way its mouth is so I am afraid it probably won't make it. I am just trying to figure out what I can do to stop the aggression. I think I got in over my head with the tetras being "semi aggressive" fish. It is just very hard to watch them swim around injured or think there is something I could do to help them.

I know have 9 glofish tetra in a 15 gallon tank. 1 is injured and in the breeding net in the hopes that at least it wont be attacked over night. Any advice would be much appreciated about how I can protect these guys.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts