Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was showing my reef to two friends who came over to check out the corals. Lo and behold a peppermint shrimp wandered out to where we could see her. I noticed she had what looked like eggs under her tail, so we all observed them closely for a few minutes. Then all of a sudden she darted up to the surface of the tank and released all of what I thought were the eggs. They were in fact tiny babies that were obviously ready to leave the mother. I immediately grabbed my RKE and put the pumps on standby mode, so the circulation and filters would all stop running.

I took some pics:

You can click the pics a couple times, once to go to the gallery, then click the picture again to make it larger, so you can see up close.

Hope you enjoy the pics... I hope they live.

Has anyone else had peppermint shrimp spawn successfully in their reef or am I lucky? I never heard of that happening to anyone. One of my friends that was here runs a big local shop, he never heard of it either.
*c/p*

*pc*old dude*w3:fish-in-a-bag:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks for the comments. It was really exciting. No sign of any of them today, lol.
My sixline wrasse seems to be in a really jolly mood however.
I bet he is fat and sassy rite now but still great that you saw them and were able to get some pics oh and have you checked out your sump??

·
Registered
32 Posts
I saw this post form a couple of years ago...Awesome Experience to see!! I stayed awake many nights to watch my breeders release them and it is always fascinating. Peppermint Shrimp area great for providing live food for the corals and fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts