Aquarium Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Hard to say a fast way, perhaps add some moss. I have some vinegar eels if you are interested? Can send a small starter for shipping cost.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:
So, after watching the eggs for a few days and removing some ones starting to get fungus on them the little wigglers started to come out. There's a bunch of what I call wigglers,and a few almost free swimmming. I suspect they'll be free swimming tomorrow. I got a hatchery set up and should have bbs tonight or in the morn. Let's hope I can raise a few. I've already removed about a dozen that died, probably from the fungus.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This is the difference: marine fishes can never be hatched and raised so easily. I remembered my early freshawter days, I (and my lovely daughter)ended up to take the fries to LFS to free them!!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thought about using thread algae to raise the fry? Auban has had some fantastic results with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
PM Me your address and send shipping monies and Ill get them out!

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Any updates?They can stay "wigglers" 2-3 days sometimes before taking "cloud" formation(free swimming).
Most of the time they were just laying on the bottom, but now there are a few free swimmers. They are so tiny. I keep thinking the ones on the bottom are dead but when I put the siphon on the bottom to clean they move out of the way. Been hatching bbs every night to try and feed the free swimmers. Also been trying a little Hakari first bites mixed with tank water. These are all I have on hand. Got a vinegar eel culture on the way, trying to be better prepared for next time. I can't count all these little guys but there's at least 10 or 12 that survived. Lost a few to the fungus on the eggs before I removed it. I'm learning. Its a delight.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
All free swimmers tonight. Except for two dead on bottom of tank. Removed the two and added some bbs to the tank. The little fry were darting around like crazy. Unreal how tiny they are. Looks to be about 10 or a little more. Hard to count cause they don't stay together and are practically clear. So hard to take a pic. Cleaned bottom of tank after 15 minutes of eating time and did daily water change. Started another batch of bbs eggs. Best pic I could get with my phone.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update: I fed some more baby brine shrimp last night. They're definitely eating because I can see the orange in their bellies. It's quite amazing to see all these tiny little fish. Everything seems to be going well. I counted 13 but it's so hard to tell how many there actually is.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Guess this is my peacock gudgeon breeding journal. Everyone seems good. I keep feeding bbs and they keep eating and filling their tiny belly's. It's pretty cool to watch them. Here's s quick video. The parents are in their pipe again. I don't know if they're gettin ready to spawn again but if they do I don't have any more room to put them.

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Did the vinegar eels make it ok?

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Guess this is my peacock gudgeon breeding journal. It's pretty cool to watch them. The parents are in their pipe again. I don't know if they're gettin ready to spawn again but if they do I don't have any more room to put them.
I think I have seen this show before?*pc
*r2
Not sure if you need good luck ,but definatley enjoy!

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I think I have seen this show before?*pc
*r2
Not sure if you need good luck ,but definatley enjoy!
Thanks, I will enjoy it, if my wife doesn't kill me. I've now taken over most of the closet in our bedroom with fry tank and bbs hatchery. I keep thinking,how can I add more space for another tank to grow fry out in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Very cool, thanks for sharing. This has been more fun to follow than the Kardasions*r2

What is the purpose of the vinegar eels, I am not familiar with them.

Have fun and Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Vinegar eels are a great small live food for the fry once they can eat. Its just a little something other than the goodies living in/ on the plants.

Congrats on more eggs! I believe once they start, most fish wont stop :p

21 - 40 of 62 Posts