Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Peacock gudgeon breeding journal.

I've had a single peacock gudgeon in a planted 10 gallon for a few months. The tank is heavy with RCS and everything is wonderful. I love watching this tank. A few weeks ago I was at my lfs and I saw that they had gotten some more in. I hadn't done very much research in sexing or breeding of these fish so I was unsure of the sex of the one I had. I knew that the difference between the two sexes is mainly fin size, slight body shape difference and a black edge on the fins. The one in my 10 has black edges on its fins s o I got one from the lfs that had no black edges on its fins hoping that it would be the opposite sex from mine. Anyways, after a short 2 week quarantine, I added this new one to the 10 yesterday along with a couple of 1/2 inch pvc pipes cause I read they like those. Long story short, tonight I look and they are both in one of those pipes doing what I assume is gettin busy. We will see. Just thought it was cool that they got together so fast. Will keep updated.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
ooh that must look nice,a peacock gudgeon in a planted 10 gallon.

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Congrats! I have empire gudgeons. Beautiful fish!

Reactions: chenowethpm

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if there's eggs. I won't be to upset if there's not, but I'm getting ready to hatch some bbs and setting up a 5g bare bottom with a sponge from there existing tank just in case. My wife is about to kill me though.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked with flashlight, no eggs. But now they are in the other pipe. I guess they're trying to figure out which one they like the best.

·
The Mothership
132 Posts
I don't know if there's eggs. I won't be to upset if there's not, but I'm getting ready to hatch some bbs and setting up a 5g bare bottom with a sponge from there existing tank just in case. My wife is about to kill me though.
Spouses be trippin, lol. My husband tried to put his foot down when I got my first tank in January but 7 tanks later I think he gave up *r2

Reactions: big b and majerah1

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
I just get a sigh or a " Another tank? What's going in this one?" nowadays. Hubbs knows it is an outlet for me and I am so very thankful he is a great and understanding man.

Reactions: April R

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My SO just smiles and goes back to me cleaning the tanks. I think he deals with it because I let him geek out with card games.

Reactions: majerah1

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
i can relate to yall stories but with my parents instead of a spouse.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I went to move the pipe with the eggs in it to a 5g with a sponge filter from the parents tank and what did I find? One of the parents having a high protein feast on its own eggs. Live and learn right! If I want to raise some peacock gudgeon fry I'll have to move the eggs as soon as I see them. I'm assuming this is normal behavior? I reed that they will do that. Maybe it's cause it's their first time, but I'll be ready next time.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, yesterday was kind of exciting. I saw the pair in their pipe again this time she laid tons of eggs. I watched him kick her out of the pipe and guard the eggs fanning them with his fins.

Taking no chances this time I setup a small 3gallon hatching tank with a sponge filter, heater and a clump of Java moss. Water, moss, and filter taken from the parents tank. I placed one side of the pipe with eggs against the sponge filter hoping to keep water flowing through the pipe. Fingers crossed I'll have fry in a couple days.

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Awww, congrats! I hope they give you tons of little ones :D

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks y'all, I'm definitely excited. I don't want to get my hopes up though. From what I've read peacock Gudgeon are fairly easy fry to take care of. Any advice on when and how much water I should change in the hatching tank?

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
I would do maybe 15% at first, but make sure the water added back is dripped slowly. This allows there very little change in the chemestry.

·
Student of Fire
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, tonight I look into their pipe and I see tons of little tiny sets of eyes. They're all wriggling about still inside the clearish sacs. It seems it won't be long now. Anyone got a quick way to get some Infusoria for feeding them until they are big enough to accept newly hatched bbs. I'm going to start hatching some bbs as soon as I see them not in the sacs anymore. I'm pretty much just beside myself, just knowing that I've done something right.

It's super hard to get a pic so here's the best I could do with a flashlight illuminating through the pipe. There's way more than can be made out in the pic.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts