Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a small scale Paradise fish breeder? I found one breeder but it's more of a fish farm and I would like details on the specific fish I get. I will check if any LFS have them but I highly doubt it because like bettas they can be aggressive but unlike bettas they need alot of space.:)

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
You can keep a pair in a 20 gal tank, Males will get bigger than a betta but not by much. You can have more than 1 female per male also as they are colony friendly as long as there is only 1 male. They like warm temp. 78 to 82, and lots of plants for hiding in. They do great during the summer in ponds.

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.! I'm pretty sure I would like to get 1 male and 1 female for breeding. I'm gonna swing by a LFS to check out what they have.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I've seen albinos in my LFS alot. but ONLY albinos. I wouldn't think them to be too uncommon, but in your area it could be different. Paradise Fish were the preceeders to bettas and came into the pet trade 1st, but were than completely replaced by the more colorful and more easier-to-keep Betta. I really think the Bettas are better, too but thats JMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hate to argue, but are we talking about the same fish.. The one I know as a paradise fish (macropodus opercularis) is from china and formosa. It' considered a semi tropical fish and can survive freezing temps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only fish I know as a paradise fish is (macropodus opercularis) and is from China and Formosa. It is an anabantid, and can survive freezing temps. You might be talking about a different fish. Do you have the latin name?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry about the duplicate response, but I got a message saying the first response didn't have enough characters..I don't know what that means..and I should repeat it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
maybe they can survive freezing temps, but most if not all anabantids breed in the 80's, with the paradise fish being no exception-and the breeding temperature is always the healthiest temp to keep them in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts