Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a small tank, only 10 gallons. I started out with 4 minnows, and 2 panda cory cats. I was going to get 2 more corys and call my tank good, but then I found baby catfish in my tank! I thought it was awesome until they kept breeding haha. Now I have about 17 cory cats if not more, they are hard to count. From what I have read, that is way too many cory cats to have in a 10 gallon. I will be upgrading to a 36 gallon tank but it won't be for about 6 months. In the mean time I am worried about having so many catfish. I have heard that having too many fish can cause them to die or spread disease. My tank though is still healthy, the water parameters are all great, and all the fish are healthy. Except I keep finding baby catfish. (I found two new ones just yesterday). I have thought about trying to donate them to a local fish store, but if they keep breeding that is only a temporary solution. I have also thought about getting a fish that will eat the fry but I want to make sure I don't get something that will pick on the adult catfish or minnows. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Registered
WOW! That is so cool!! I mean if it's starting to be a problem... but still!! I'd LOVE to know what you feed them if you have a planted tank or not, exactly what your water parameters are, how often you clean the tank, and so on.
I have eight panda cories which I have gone to great lengths to obtain and I absolutely love them!馃グ
Please tell me!!!

Registered
Hi,
I have a small tank, only 10 gallons. I started out with 4 minnows, and 2 panda cory cats. I was going to get 2 more corys and call my tank good, but then I found baby catfish in my tank! I thought it was awesome until they kept breeding haha. Now I have about 17 cory cats if not more, they are hard to count. From what I have read, that is way too many cory cats to have in a 10 gallon. I will be upgrading to a 36 gallon tank but it won't be for about 6 months. In the mean time I am worried about having so many catfish. I have heard that having too many fish can cause them to die or spread disease. My tank though is still healthy, the water parameters are all great, and all the fish are healthy. Except I keep finding baby catfish. (I found two new ones just yesterday). I have thought about trying to donate them to a local fish store, but if they keep breeding that is only a temporary solution. I have also thought about getting a fish that will eat the fry but I want to make sure I don't get something that will pick on the adult catfish or minnows. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hi! You're sooo frickin lucky! None and I mean none of my babies have had babies!! My husband says that they are all gay!
I'm not trying to be insensitive to your plight but I am very green (jealous) though... I'd love to know your secret!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, it has taken me so long to respond! For my water parameters, I just used normal tap water, I almost never added any form of Prime or anything else. I did have a Seachem Purigen Organic Filtration Resin when I was having problems with nitrites. But when I added the Resin, my water parameters, according to those little pH strip like things, always came out perfect except for the water hardness which was always came out as very hard. I really didn't do much for my tank. It stayed clean with that Resin and my nerite snail. I used the gravel vac every once in a while but not as much as I should have. Also I had a light on it for 6 hours a day, but they started breeding before I added the light. I also had two live plants. They seemed to have maxed out at 18 catfish. I just transferred them a couple weeks ago to a 29 gallon tank so we'll see if my count goes up again! Yesterday I went to a local fish store and they offered to buy them for me for $2 a fish but I am a weirdo and feel attached to them haha.

Registered
Sorry, it has taken me so long to respond! For my water parameters, I just used normal tap water, I almost never added any form of Prime or anything else. I did have a Seachem Purigen Organic Filtration Resin when I was having problems with nitrites. But when I added the Resin, my water parameters, according to those little pH strip like things, always came out perfect except for the water hardness which was always came out as very hard. I really didn't do much for my tank. It stayed clean with that Resin and my nerite snail. I used the gravel vac every once in a while but not as much as I should have. Also I had a light on it for 6 hours a day, but they started breeding before I added the light. I also had two live plants. They seemed to have maxed out at 18 catfish. I just transferred them a couple weeks ago to a 29 gallon tank so we'll see if my count goes up again! Yesterday I went to a local fish store and they offered to buy them for me for $2 a fish but I am a weirdo and feel attached to them haha.
Hi!!馃槂
It's soo good to hear from you, hon.
I think that $2 is pretty dang cheap of them because just today I seen them going for $6 each!! Ughhh...people! And, Aaawww... I understand because I just love catfish anyways and these little guys are sooo frickin adorable! I sure wish mine would have some babies; maybe later... I sigh...
You are doing grreat!! Wow!
My tap water with a system on the faucet is extremely veryyy hard soooo what I do is boil it and then strain it through cheesecloth and whammy! Nooo hard water! Seriously! It works like a gem and I don't even mind the extra work because it's for our babies!!馃槂馃槂

1 - 5 of 5 Posts