Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember years ago,*old dude my mom put blue paint on the back of her tank and when she was done the paint dried with a crystalized effect. It was as I remember pretty neat but I can't find any paint that still does that. It was back in the days when enviormentally you could pretty much get away with anything *o2 so it might be that the stuff is off the market. Any ideas if this can still be accomplished and not at great expense?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was looking for something like that to go on my glass cabinet doors. What I found was either extremely expensive or complicated to apply or both.
Then I remembered a craft paint that I had used years ago called Gallery Glass.
It's inexpensive, easy to apply and when you want to remove it, just use a single edge razor blade and it peels right off! I got it at Hoby Loby but I think most craft stores will have it. Not bad for $2.00!

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for something like that to go on my glass cabinet doors. What I found was either extremely expensive or complicated to apply or both.
Then I remembered a craft paint that I had used years ago called Gallery Glass.
It's inexpensive, easy to apply and when you want to remove it, just use a single edge razor blade and it peels right off! I got it at Hoby Loby but I think most craft stores will have it. Not bad for $2.00!
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I remember years ago,*old dude my mom put blue paint on the back of her tank and when she was done the paint dried with a crystalized effect. It was as I remember pretty neat but I can't find any paint that still does that. It was back in the days when enviormentally you could pretty much get away with anything *o2 so it might be that the stuff is off the market. Any ideas if this can still be accomplished and not at great expense?
Boy that's bringing back memories......that's got to be 20 - 30 years ago I bet.
Every fish shop had bottles of that stuff in every color you wanted.
Looked like stained glass on the back of the tank. *w3

Depending on the thickness of application it made different size designs.
I used it on a couple of tanks and it did work pretty good but stunk to high heaven!
Probably banned due to the chemicals involved and kids getting high sniffing it!
Can't have any fun now days.....*pc

Update.....
I found it...or something similar here:

Not bad priced either........$12.50 per Pint.................Way cool. *banana dance

Crystal Glass Paints

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy that's bringing back memories......that's got to be 20 - 30 years ago I bet.
Every fish shop had bottles of that stuff in every color you wanted.
Looked like stained glass on the back of the tank. *w3

Depending on the thickness of application it made different size designs.
I used it on a couple of tanks and it did work pretty good but stunk to high heaven!
Probably banned due to the chemicals involved and kids getting high sniffing it!
Can't have any fun now days.....*pc

Update.....
I found it...or something similar here:

Not bad priced either........$12.50 per Pint.................Way cool. *banana dance

Crystal Glass Paints

Yes, that's the look I remember. And yea, 30 or more years ago. And I'd go 12 bucks a pint. I'm going to set up a small shrimp tank in a month or so, I'll try and get some and post a pic.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great looking finish, but how is it done? Are there any instructional videos?
Not hat I can find but I'm going to get a half pint of blue for a shrimp tank I want to put up, unfortunately probably not till August. I'll take pics and make notes on what I did and how it tuned out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great looking finish, but how is it done? Are there any instructional videos?
You just paint it on the back of the glass after cleaning it thoroughly......the tank has to be empty and lay flat.
The thickness of the "paint" determines the size of the crystallization......I think because it dries at different rates.

If anyone tries this I suggest you try it on some test piece of glass to get the idea on the desired effect.
Also, do it in a well ventilated area as it does stink until dry.

I might have to try this stuff again sometime on my small tank.

Thanks for bringing back some cool memories! *w3

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm going to try and post my pics from the completed tank. I hope this is the right way to go about it.

Crystal Blue

Now to let it dry

Ta-Da it's full

I really love the way it turned out. I'm sure it's probably not for everyone but I really love it.

I really want to thank Buerkletucson for finding the link to this company for me. I was stumped and this exactly what I was looking for.

Robin

·
Super Moderator
8,287 Posts
Thats actually pretty cool and I think it would be perfect for some spawn tanks. You could paint the bottom, back and sides of it. Hmm I may do this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It never occured to me to do the sides. I'm guessing the bottom because in a spawn tank there is no substrate?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Taking a bow...... *r2

Cool, glad it worked out for you.
Like I mentioned, you can do it 5x times over and come out with a completely different look each time. Thickness of material makes a big difference.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Reactions: coralbandit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a vendor I found that offers many colors of Crystal Paint for glass. In 1970, I used this paint to create dozens of glass paintings that I sold to a museum in Pittsburgh after an owner bought all of my works at an art exhibit held at Penn State.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts