Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fishaholic
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, I haven't posted in here for a while, but I was hoping some of you could lend me a hand. I have to write a research paper on how small businesses compete with large chains. I'm particularly interested in the fish industry, since I've entertained thoughts of running a LFS when I get out of school. If any of you work at, or especially own an LFS and feel like answering some of my questions, please pm me. I'd love to use your expert testimony in my paper. I'm working on drafting some questions right now, and will check for some pm's tonight when I get off of work.
Thanks,
Oddi

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey y'all, I haven't posted in here for a while, but I was hoping some of you could lend me a hand. I have to write a research paper on how small businesses compete with large chains. I'm particularly interested in the fish industry, since I've entertained thoughts of running a LFS when I get out of school. If any of you work at, or especially own an LFS and feel like answering some of my questions, please pm me. I'd love to use your expert testimony in my paper. I'm working on drafting some questions right now, and will check for some pm's tonight when I get off of work.
Thanks,
Oddi
I wish I could help, if you explain what LFS is, and what the business is about.. like more specific info.. then I can actually help more :)

·
Fishaholic
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could help, if you explain what LFS is, and what the business is about.. like more specific info.. then I can actually help more :)
lfs = local fish shop
I'm trying to analyze how small fish stores compete with large chains and ultimately, if it is even worth attempting.

·
Registered
285 Posts
lfs = local fish shop
I'm trying to analyze how small fish stores compete with large chains and ultimately, if it is even worth attempting.
Small fish stores eh? I don't know how they can compete with bigger fish stores, but they do get more fishes in, I think it's because of their suppliers. I don't really get too nosey about that.. but I kno that Pet Cetera, competes with a store called pet smart, just not on all fishes.. and yet pet smart's prices are still cheaper, and they send spies all the way to pet smart from petcetera.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
LFS can compete with chain stores, because retail is retail..... LSF have loyal customers, that want the care you can get at a LFS. There prices are alittle hirer I find on things, better fish selection (if its a good store) healther fish. A good bussiness in the right location can make it.... it's location and customer service and knowlege of the product. I buy most of my livestock and equipment online, but I buy my food and small items from my choice in a LFS, just so I have a reason to go, other than just to look at fish.

·
Registered
98 Posts
. theres been one thats been slowly growing, ever since i remember ive went there, since i was 4-5.. now im 21, and his (garys pet jungle) is considerbly more "filled out" inside. he also has, "black knife fish" for $7 instead of +$10+......

LFS seem hit and miss, IMO, good knowledgeble staff, even if the selection is 50/50, is the MAIN reason i go to LFS's over chains with brainless 7$ hr employee's.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts