Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if I've overstocked. I have a 55 gallon tank, have two aquaclear 70 filters on it. The substrate is a white sand with two decent sized rocks in one corner, some artificial plants along the back and some smaller ones planted around the rock and root decor on the other side of the tank.

I have a black ghost knife fish who will be the "centerpiece" once he grows. I've read many different things about how 55 gallons is pushing it for one and such, at first I was just going to keep it in it, but it looked a little empty.

So I added in four balloon belly mollies, I figured if I got them while the bgk was still little things would be ok and after couple of days of those five getting along, well I just added in two gourami and a rubber lip pleco.

I know the gourami's will grow to be about 6 inches, the rubber lip pleco around the same size. The bgk will get up 18 inches or more, and the little ole mollies will be 3 inches.

I'm still thinking about adding in one more decent sized fish but have I already pushed the limits?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I personally wouldn't add anymore as the bgk will grow fairly fast and once he does grow you will be overstocked.

All the fish that you added to this tank are heavy waste producers, and the mollies being live bearers you will soon find yourself with a bunch of babies if they aren't eaten by the other fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had been using the AqAdvisor in selecting which fish would go good together, I think it said I was 105% but my filtration was at 160% or something around that, so wasn't sure if I should stop at 100 or around where the filter is.

Well I'm happy with the mix, I just need to let the fish grow into the tank some more. If the mollies or gourami do spawn, I'll just have to see what happens if they do lol. As far as I can tell one of the mollies is male (and wants to be boss of the tank) and the other three are female, the gourami I think I have a male and female.

·
7,685 Posts
Most calculators aren't accurate anyway, They usually just suggest what fish will go with what, at small sizes, not taking account of a full grown fish. Some will be ok, but not adding all that is listed isn't what is suggested. The one inch per gal was tossed out years ago so don't go by that, It only works for small bodied fish like guppies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found it useful for compatibility and any needs a fish might have. I'll leave well enough alone in my aquarium for now. It would be nice to have more to look at but I'll need to be patient and let them grow into the tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jeez, then I must be overstocked.

See my sig.

·
7,685 Posts
The clown loaches will get up to 12 inches given the space to grow. If the plecos are commons they can get up to 18 inches each. If not given the space to grow it stunts their growth and shortens their lifespan. Loaches also prefer larger groups of at least 4

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well knownothingfishowner, I'm wanting my black ghost knife to grow into it's normal size which is around 18 inches or more, so to much more fish wouldn't be too good. Seeing how I'll have two decent sized bottom fish now I'm questioning the pleco, but it's one of the smaller types.

I just wish I'd get more of them swimming out in the open mid/upper parts of the tank. The gourami's are good, the mollies just roam around where ever, but for the most part they're all keeping tucked away. Just a new home for them I guess, but they all doing wonderful. Just the pleco hasn't found the algae wafers, I'm worried there wont be enough for him to eat if he doesn't get those.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well knownothingfishowner, I'm wanting my black ghost knife to grow into it's normal size which is around 18 inches or more, so to much more fish wouldn't be too good. Seeing how I'll have two decent sized bottom fish now I'm questioning the pleco, but it's one of the smaller types.

I just wish I'd get more of them swimming out in the open mid/upper parts of the tank. The gourami's are good, the mollies just roam around where ever, but for the most part they're all keeping tucked away. Just a new home for them I guess, but they all doing wonderful. Just the pleco hasn't found the algae wafers, I'm worried there wont be enough for him to eat if he doesn't get those.
Ah, okay. Yeah, that's a decent size fish...18 inches. All I have are a bunch of 1-inchers roaming around...no deaths or nipped fins or anything like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i dont like this calculator. it has told me that even a 30 gallon would be too small one black moor. balderdash.
I know that it is not perfect. I just think it is a good place for newbies to start. It keeps us from overstocking in the beginning when we are still learning. It definitely errs on the side of caution!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well some sad news, one of my mollies died last night. I found it today trapped in the filter :( His body looked like there was no signs of attack so the poor fellow must have just swam to close to the intake.

I don't know if I should replace it with another molly or wait and see if the other 3 reproduce or pick up a different fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't see how it could have got stuck where it was if it had died somewhere else in the tank though. I have filters hidden by the plants and I didn't even see it until I moved the plant back. It had it's left fin stuck in and it's body was upright as if maybe it was resting close by or something.

All the other fish are fine but I'll test it anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't see how it could have got stuck where it was if it had died somewhere else in the tank though. I have filters hidden by the plants and I didn't even see it until I moved the plant back. It had it's left fin stuck in and it's body was upright as if maybe it was resting close by or something.

All the other fish are fine but I'll test it anyway.
in my recent experience, i have noticed that sometimes fish retreat behind plants to hide or whatever as they are dying. the past two fish that have died on me have. So, if your filter intake is near a plant, maybe this was the case. is the intake big enough to suck a fish up? is there not a little filter on it? i lost a pleco that way, except he leeched onto the filter until it fell off the intake, and got sucked up that way. Darwin award for that little guy. New, more reliable filter for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I'm baffled at what got to this one, everything checked out and the other fish seem fine and the black ghost knife has even become more active swimming around out in the open. But it happens. It was one of the smaller mollies so could have been a number of things I guess.

And the intake isn't big enough to suck up a fish, just it's side fin was stuck in it and well, all of my fish are still pretty small and could get that fin stuck in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts