Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...

I fed my Oscar a little while ago and just took a look at him and the head of the feeder fish is coming out of his gill. What should I do? Should I pull it out or let him work it out for himself. He doesn't look like he is in distress at all.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
just let him be...if its still there after a couple of days you might want to take it out...but it might distress the fish if you try to catch it and stuff

Reactions: mdmorash

·
Registered
18 Posts
this is not a good scenario. myself i would catch him place him in a hospital tank or a clean bucket.. go get some clove oil and use that to sedate the fish then gently try to remove the feeder. this is going to irritate the hell out of his gills and the longer its stuck there the worse it will get

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooops, sorry. I forgot to post the update for this. He spit it up and then ate it again. No harm done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah this happened to one of mine with an earthworm. It looked freaky when the worm was half in half out and still hanging out of his mouth too but it worked its way out after about 10 minutes. I cut larger worms for the smaller ones now. Glad your Oscar is ok. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts