Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating getting an aquarium set up. I have a 32" wall for the aquarium so the largest tank I can have is a 20g long or a 29g. I'm wanting to use this wall because no furniture is around it. I have a pretty curious cat but he's not very athletic (he was never able to get into my 29g gecko enclosure). I'll probably go with the 29g for the height.

I first thought I wanted a planted tank but I remembered my past experiences. I have kept some American cichlids before - jack dempsey, convicts, and a firemouth. I did not enjoy keeping the firemouth (too shy) and cannot keep a jack in a 29g for long.

I did enjoy my convicts since they were confident and were hard to stress. I kept a pair easily in a 20g high in the past. I was looking at also a rainbow cichlid and I think they would work as well.

I wanted to create a single species only tank with a breeding pair. Any thoughts or other suggestions? I live in central Oklahoma and the water is medium-hard. I was not wanting to modify the water. I was also wanting a species that is not skittish.

TL;DR: I want a non-skittish central American cichlid in a 29g single species tank. I was thinking about convicts (owned before) or rainbows (I've never owned). Open to other suggestions, wanting opinions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't thought of Africans/Lake Tang. My old shell dwellers were great. They were only mildly aggressive and bred easily. I'm not intentionally trying to breed the fish but stuff happens.

I might be going to the auction. I'm more interested in equipment than fish. I only have reptile equipment. I'll have to visit the Facebook page.

Will there be an auction later in the year?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't figured out how to edit posts on mobile devices.

Anyway, I guess the Facebook doesn't show the auction details. I did see the information is on the OKAA website and got the information on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts